PDA

View Full Version : Victorian-Style Tree Ornaments - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
10-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the Victorian-Style Tree Ornaments (for Nov. 2010). This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

The Victorian Era is often looked upon with a wistful nostalgia. Fashion and decor were often ornate and eclectic, blending traditional and ornamental styles. In that spirit, this project features a set of twelve unique Christmas tree ornaments for you to enjoy or give away as gifts to friends and family. A carved ornament signed and dated by the maker will give loved ones a fond memory each year!

The project requires no special bits and all components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine. Each ornament is about 3½" diameter.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• Ornaments_1.mpc
• Ornaments_2.mpc
• Ornaments_3.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Ornaments_1: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
Ornaments_2: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"
Ornaments_3: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24”

NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required). Make certain your boards are a TRUE ½" thick - boards less than a true ½" thickness will NOT work.

3) Sandpaper, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish, decorative ribbon to hang ornaments

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Victorian-Style Ornaments made from Clear Pine:

• 3 coats of Bullseye SealCoat, sanding between coats
(thinned... 2 parts sealer/3 parts Denatured alcohol)
• 2 coats Bullseye SealCoat, straight from can
• spray primer (Krylon Ruddy Brown) then sanded
• spray gold paint (Krylon Metallic Brilliant Gold)
• brushed on Red Acrylic craft paint (then wiped off)
• buffed with clean, soft cloth

Kenm810
10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Very Nice Michael,

They all look Great!!

fwharris
10-29-2010, 11:54 PM
Michael,

Another great monthly project and the timing could not be better.. Tis the season coming upon us and I've already started carving some. I've been asked to participate in a benifit craft show in November so these will be added to the list..

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Excellent Designs....

AL

eelamb
10-30-2010, 01:04 PM
my great designs.

mtylerfl
10-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks, everyone! I think you'll have fun with this one - almost unlimited possibilities for finishing/painting/etc!

liquidguitars
10-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Nice job!

A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Your detail work is the bomb! if you get a chance can you take a photo of the tools you use to sand your Ornaments?

mtylerfl
10-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Nice job!

Your detail work is the bomb! if you get a chance can you take a photo of the tools you use to sand your Ornaments?

Thanks, LG (your detail work and FINISHING is superb!!)

Here is a photo (below) of all the tools I used for sanding/cleaning up details. These are pretty much all I use for most of my projects.

I should note that the 12 ornaments are laid out as four per board. On the first set of four, I selected the "BEST" setting when uploading to the card. It did fine, but on the next set of four, I selected "OPTIMAL" during upload. WOW! What a difference! - very little sanding was needed, so I did the last set of four with the "OPTIMAL" setting as well. Makes all the difference in the world. The small details are much more defined and cleaner when using OPTIMAL.

CarverJerry
10-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Those are kick butt Michael......I really like them, looks like a perfect Christmas gift to me...and I can't wait....the tissue box came out well too...

CarverJerry

mtylerfl
10-31-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks, Jerry. Glad your Schnoz Box came out well, too!

earlyrider
10-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Michael, Please don't design a TP box.

mtylerfl
10-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Michael, Please don't design a TP box.

Ha! Now that's an idea...

earlyrider
10-31-2010, 12:10 PM
"Moon Floss"?