PDA

View Full Version : Carving Depth for 90,60 deg

lhanner
10-29-2010, 04:51 PM
What is the default carving depth for the 90 and 60 deg. bits? Or is there one ?

Digitalwoodshop
10-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Hey Buddy,

Good to talk to you today. Glad your machine is running.

There is no way to set the depth of the V90 and V60 Centerline Text as it is automatic based on how big you make the letters. You CAN select BOLD and that will increase the depth making the letters BIGGER and Deeper.

I purchased the new Contour Feature today and tried it on a clock. Had to type the text over to make it work but it looks GREAT !!!! It will save me time.

If you need VERY Big letters, you can Outline big letters then make it a carve region, deleting the outline. It will take longer then Centerline but a option...

If you need tiny letters.... Try a One Stroke Font like Modern Font. Use Outline.... Or Centerline.

Good Luck,

AL

Kenm810
10-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Hi Lon,

As for Default Carving Depths they are .375 and .250 respectively, but are very adjustable
Please keep in mind multiple passes for Deep carvings

lhanner
10-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks to you both :)

alan.galbraith
12-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I just purchased and installed the centerline text and have the same question. How do you set the depth? My inset, depth and max pass depth are all greyed out can't change. Did I do something wrong installing the centerline text?

Ike
12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I just purchased and installed the centerline text and have the same question. How do you set the depth? My inset, depth and max pass depth are all greyed out can't change. Did I do something wrong installing the centerline text?
Alan, there is no depth adjustment for center line text the CW adjust the depth. That is on the wish list !

Ike

alan.galbraith
12-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Ike thanks,

where can I find a tutorial on center line text. I got the impression that this was the magic bullet.

Kenm810
12-04-2010, 01:27 PM
The Carving depth for Centerline with either the 60 or 90 degree V-Groove bit is per-set,
with only a slight possible difference when using the Bold Type Setting. One thing you may notice is that the
the depth appears to very a bit with different Fonts.

alan.galbraith
12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I've tried both 90 and 60 degree and I feel that the depth is too deep. I'll keep experimenting. thanks all.

Old Salt
12-04-2010, 02:12 PM
I find script type works best for center line ,bold fat block letters get very deep . Block letters work well with raster or outline,
You can also invert raster letters , looks very good with block letters.
keep up the differant looks.

alan.galbraith
12-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Here's a sample of what I was trying. I would like this to be half as deep as what it ends up being.

alan.galbraith
12-06-2010, 02:07 PM
If I were to do just the lettering, would I be able to fake the depth out? I haven't tried this theory yet, but what I was thinking was: place a piece of cardboard on the board when/if it checks for the surface when using the V bits?

dbfletcher
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
The MPC you posted has the text in raster... if that is the look you want, you can set the depth/hieght directly. If you choose centerline, you dont get an option for how deep it carve, it goes based on the stroke width of the letters. The larger stroke the deeper centerline goes. You can cheat by placing a shim under the bit at the beginning of the project the project when it goes to find the surface. Normally you would want to turn the "jog to touch" option on. This will make the machine think the surface of the board is higher than it really is and thus your centerline will not be as deep. You can simulate your results in designer by placing a carve region over the text and setting the depth of it to the thickness of the shim you plan on using.

alan.galbraith
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I had changed this mpc to centerline but didn't save it before uploading. hopefully this one will be correct

dbfletcher
12-06-2010, 02:26 PM
This is what you project would look like if you went by your first statement (you would like it to carve half as deep). You can play around witht he depth of the carve region I added to see if you can find soething you like. If you do, just use a shim that is the same thickness as the carve region depth and then make sure you delete or hide the carve region before you upload to your machine.

Trying to add the attachments but the forum isnt cooporating with me right now...

alan.galbraith
12-06-2010, 02:52 PM
This doesn't make any sense to me why the "V" isn't even showing. Shouldn't all the letters be of the same depth?

On another note, notice the other mpc that I mistakeningly uploaded. When this carves, the lettering has some tabs sticking into the lettering but doesn't show even when you zoom in.

I have played with all different fonts to come up with one that looks half decent, but haven't found one yet.

Also, I am using a sled to run this project on.

TerryT
12-06-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure if this was completely covered AND understood earlier. If you look at the 60 or 90 bit you can see that the deeper it goes the wider it will cut. Since centerline works from the width of the letter the depth will be what ever is necessary to get the width of the letter. Therefore if you want shallower carves you need thinner letters. The attached mpc has the letters at half or less of the depth you had using a very narrow font called Maximo? I think. Narrower font= shallower cuts.

Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

dbfletcher
12-06-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure if this was completely covered AND understood earlier. If you look at the 60 or 90 bit you can see that the deeper it goes the wider it will cut. Since centerline works from the width of the letter the depth will be what ever is necessary to get the width of the letter. Therefore if you want shallower carves you need thinner letters. The attached mpc has the letters at half or less of the depth you had using a very narrow font called Maximo? I think. Narrower font= shallower cuts.

Or am I misunderstanding the problem?

Thanks Terry.. that is what I was trying to say, but you explained it in a clearer fashion.

dbfletcher
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
If you want them all the same depth, select a fixed width stroke font (san-serif) or in your case it is just as easy to trace the letters and then apply a bit and your depth setting.