PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to make an ocotogon

Darthmaul1964
10-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Anyone know an easy way to make an octogon? Other than with line segment tool.

Digitalwoodshop
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I used a Grid.... Snap to grid. Make the grid blocks BIG......

A Second way is to inport a octogon into your patterns from a Corel Draw or Art Program. Make it a .ptn.

Place it on a 14.5 inch board then try to outline it.... Save the outline....

Edit.....

OK.... This one kicked my butt.... The Corel Thing did not work out very well... Scratch that....

I did the GRID thing in Designer..... Made each line 5.0 inchs long and changed every angle to 135 degrees.....

This is the FREAKEY THING.... Once you remove the Grid.... The last Restraint of Angle will not let you set it... But it is 135 drgrees.... Then the Freaky thing.... Grab any NODE and you can ROTATE this like a BEACH BALL..... Wonder if it will CRASH Designer....

AL

JLT
10-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Anyone know an easy way to make an octogon? Other than with line segment tool.

I wrote a utility to generate various radial vector shapes, including polygons. How big of an octagon do you need, or are you simply seeking a method?

Jon

cestout
10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
How wide do you need it across? Using snap to grid (you can change the size of the grid squares Layout - Snap) draw a square in designer. If 8", draw an hexagonal area with vertexes 2" from each corner. Delete the original square.
Clint

Chief
11-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Al,

Where did you get the pattern for the clock? I'd like to make one for a local FD.

Chief

racer
11-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Can due it in cad, and impout in to dxf all dune. Let me know what size you need will be glad to help. Racer using 1.175

Digitalwoodshop
11-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Chief,

It is in the CarveWright Pattern Depot along with a few others have different versions of it. All my Maltese Crosses have a electronic serial number. I cut 3 with the Contour Cut and it was painless and quick...

Bob,

As for the Octagon... Draw 8 lines any length and connect the last one to the first one.

Pick a line and change it to 5 inches and 135 degrees. Work your way around and in the end it works....

AL

Chief
11-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Al,

Thanks for the info.

Al