PDA

View Full Version : looking for a used machine to get started with

steeelwheel
10-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi all Im looking to buy my first machine If any one has info on one for sale please share with me .
Thanks
Mark

lynnfrwd
10-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Also, check out our Halloween Specials - buy CW - Version C!!! and get free one year warranty. Plus, Scanning Probe with Pattern Editor Software is discounted by $75!!

mtylerfl
10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi all Im looking to buy my first machine If any one has info on one for sale please share with me .
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

For what it's worth...for your first machine, I would highly recommend that you start your new endeavor with a BRAND NEW machine...not a used or refurbished one. Many reasons for that, not the least of which is the risk of inheriting an unforeseen problem that could sneak past a "check" or "refurbish" routine. I know you're trying to save a few bucks, but I believe you will have much greater peace of mind (and a practical guarantee of success) by waiting awhile longer (if you need to do that) and saving up for a new machine.

I hope this is helpful. Your best interests are in mind, of course.

Digitalwoodshop
10-28-2010, 05:51 PM
"For what it's worth...for your first machine, I would highly recommend that you start your new endeavor with a BRAND NEW machine...not a used or refurbished one. Many reasons for that, not the least of which is the risk of inheriting an unforeseen problem that could sneak past a "check" or "refurbish" routine. I know you're trying to save a few bucks, but I believe you will have much greater peace of mind (and a practical guarantee of success) by waiting awhile longer (if you need to do that) and saving up for a new machine."

Yes, that was a exact quote of what MT Posted Above as it hits the nail right on the head....

The first time you have a problem with the Refurbished or Used Machine and need to PAY for Tech Assist from LHR, Pay for PARTS that will have already installed in a New "C" version... PLUS Shipping of the parts.....

Sure you can get GREAT fix IT advice here.... I have many fix it posts here.... I even suggest that someone having a problem look at my website and find my phone number and call me.... I don't mind.... I like helping....

The advantage of getting a new machine is the safety net LHR provides and the reliability of the "C" version... Once you get to know what the machine will do with every given situation, you will be better prepared to buy a Broken $500.00 machine.... I only paid full price for my first machine in 2007 and it made 2 Trips to TEXAS.... I have learned SO much in 3 years.....

I honestly believe you will be disappointed in getting a used machine as your first..... The extra $600.00 MORE you pay for a "C" will be well worth it.... That $600.00 Savings will get chipped away VERY Quickly buying parts...

AL

ibewiggin
10-28-2010, 10:51 PM
Definitely listen to this advice. I bought my first machine as a refurbished. I have spent more money on this than a new one would have been. Not to mention all the frustration. I believe I got a poorly refurbished machine but I have almost given up on it, as it has been like 8 months and still have nothing to show. Buy new!

cnsranch
10-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Listen to these guys, Mark....

steeelwheel
10-30-2010, 07:43 PM
I do listen and I understand but this is why I am looking here and not somewhere else like craigslist on Iwanna. I know that people for one reason or another. I am hoping that I might find one like this. But I do appreciate all of your concern.

Thanks Mark

Digitalwoodshop
10-30-2010, 09:54 PM
If you have a FIX IT talent then a Used Machine would work for you.... My luck is that I have been through lots of Navy Electronics Schools and 20 years of playing with Radars and Computers... Then 8 years with Sony, the first 2 repairing Factory Automation in a Picture Tube Plant. Lots of schools at Sony too.... Fanuc Robot Programming and Repair, Omron PLC - Program Locic Controller training for all the Automation. Pillar RF Heating Generators, Power Supplies, Conveyors, Elevators. My job keep it running for the 12 hour shift. Then 2 years in the Calibration Lab, Lots of Schools from Fluke Calibration to Mitutoyo Calibration, Sorensen Power Supply Training. Then 4 years at a Service Center fixing Play Stations, DVDs, Tivo's, Cameras and a bunch of other stuff....

So I have a very diverse background, I am very lucky with all the training I have had... That is why once I dug into the CW, it really enjoyed fixing it and as you might notice... I like helping others fix the CW....

So we don't know your background... You may do just fine with a used machine.... There is NOTHING on the machine that cannot be repaired.... in MY opinion.... It's just PARTS.....

Good Luck and WELCOME !!!!

AL

jaroot
10-31-2010, 05:06 PM
My son and I bought a refurbished unit and are happily working away with it when we have time. At the time we bought ours it was significantly cheaper that a new unit. We have had some issues that we got worked out mostly by trial and error and of course with the very helpful forum members. It got pretty frustrating at times (see my post "x-drive rant") but now it appears to be humming right along. That being said, I too have a pretty varied background in my experience base so this machine doesn't scare me too much. I would guess that we are still into it less than a new machine but it has been down for several weeks at a time. If the "C" version had been available when we bought ours, especially with the current special, we would probably have gone new.