PDA

View Full Version : Do the new machines still have the same old problems?

grubby
10-28-2010, 10:52 AM
A few years ago I had one (well ended up being 3 machines, Sears return policy was put to the test) of the CompuCarve machines. After complete frustration over board sensor errors, belts rolling up, board measuring issues, etc. I returned the machine to Sears and got my money back. But, I do like the possibilites of the machine and have wanted to purchase another. I come back to the forum from time to time to see how things are going and I see the same old posts concerning the same old problems. Most of the posts don't indicate which machine people are using, but I was wondering how many of the familiar issues have been resolved in Version C. I notice there is a sale going on, but in my opinion it is a very detrimental one. $300 one year warranty for free, from this it appears CarveWright is expecting problems to charge that kind of money for 1 year of warranty.

mtylerfl
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
A few years ago I had one (well ended up being 3 machines, Sears return policy was put to the test) of the CompuCarve machines. After complete frustration over board sensor errors, belts rolling up, board measuring issues, etc. I returned the machine to Sears and got my money back. But, I do like the possibilites of the machine and have wanted to purchase another. I come back to the forum from time to time to see how things are going and I see the same old posts concerning the same old problems. Most of the posts don't indicate which machine people are using, but I was wondering how many of the familiar issues have been resolved in Version C. I notice there is a sale going on, but in my opinion it is a very detrimental one. $300 one year warranty for free, from this it appears CarveWright is expecting problems to charge that kind of money for 1 year of warranty.

Hello Grubby,

Glad to hear you are considering a machine again.

I have two machines...one has the newest upgrades...the other has all the same stock items just as it had 3 years ago. Both are CompuCarves purchased from Sears. Both machines work great.

The key here, is to maintain the machines (keep them clean and lubed) and avoid operator error. Not every problem was due to the operator of course, but undeniably, it is/was the main reason for problems folks have had.

The new "C" machines are superior in many ways to the original "A" machines...the CarveTight chuck eliminates user-error when inserting a bit, plus it is far less prone to wear and tear. The old Quick Chuck was a major source of problems for users-I haven't had any serious issues with mine, but a lot of folks did. In any case, there are no more issues with the chuck.

As far as belt problems...two major causes...head pressure is off, or the user loaded a board wrong. I've not had belt problems either...one machine has the original sandpaper belts...the other has the Kevlar reinforced rubber belts - those are practically indestructible, and I heartily recommend them.

In short, the machine is very reliable and the new upgrades have greatly improved its overall performance and longevity.

Couple things...be sure to read the Tips & Tricks newsletters to help you learn how to run the machine properly and avoid user errors. Use this Forum to get help from your fellow carvers anytime you are uncertain about what you're doing. I've seen many posts where a user had has "bad luck" that could easily been avoided by simply asking a question and receiving guidance from other experienced machine owners. You will discover that we are all eager to help you!

Looking forward to seeing some of your projects with your new machine!

STEAM
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Great answer Michael. You explained very well the ins and outs of the CW. I have an A version and have never had a belt problem. I still have the originals that were on it when I got it in '07. Most of my problems have been user error. I am still learning but I love my machine. I did upgrade from the QC to the Rock and built in a dust collection system. When things go wrong I guarantee that the answer can be found here on the forum. If a person takes time to learn the system there are usually very few issues they cant fix themselves. If I could I would buy two more!

Wilbur
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Hello all it has been a long time sence I have posted. Had a problem seeing how to use the PC.
I started with a CW and really had a lot of problems so I let it go back to Lowes.
Well in a month I got one from Sears with a 5 yr warranty.
Had a problem soon, so I got another with a 5 yr warrants so I would have one when one went down.
You can see I really wanted to do some carving.
Sears fixed the first one and with in a month the cut motor went out. I sent it back and sears gave me a new one with the same warranty.
I have been carving ever sence with on problems.
I did changethe QC to the rock chuck and have not had a problem with that.
Does sears sale the compucarve any more?
I love both carvers but you do need to learn to keep them up.

Wilbur

Digitalwoodshop
04-06-2012, 09:37 PM
353 posts... WOW... a 2010 POST.... Much has changed for the better.... Many problems are actually Pilot Error and the days of taking the machine back and getting another is mostly over... We have found that a user working through the problems builds a better user experience.

We have written many versions of Tips and Tricks and I am not sure you have looked them over. It covers lots of Pilot Errors....

WE are here to answer your questions... The Cut Motor not working could have been a few things like a broken C1 Capacitor on the X Termination Board due to QC Vibration. Same with the L2 in the Power Supply... It was damaged due to QC Vibration... A Rock fixes that problem... But the QC problem was really in retrospect pilot error... WE and I included WAITED too long to replace a BAD QC and that Vibration destroyed the machine... The Cover Switch could have been a problem too with the Cut Motor...

So as you find problems, WE are waiting here to HELP.... The machine is really very reliable... It just needs to be maintained and understood... And sometimes parts need to be replaced.... Sand Paper Belts, FSC Cables, and even if you have a old one... The Board Sensor...

And if you have a "A" machine you need to know if you have a old 18 pin FSC Cable or the newer in it's time 14 pin cable.. The 14 is more reliable but if you have the old 18 pin cable and plug a new 14 pin FSC cable into the socket, the WIDER pins Short out your COMPUTER... SO KNOW !!!!!! The old 18 pin is no longer sold and they send a 14 pin... If you blindly stuff it into the socket of a 18 pin you will kill your machine....

Good Luck,

AL

fspearman1
04-07-2012, 05:52 AM

The answer is yes.

lynnfrwd
04-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Frank, you're still going through a learning curve. You'll get there soon especially by being a part of this forum.

Connie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fspearman1
04-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Frank, you're still going through a learning curve. You'll get there soon especially by being a part of this forum.

Connie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does a learning curve mean that:
Right out of the box defective flash card unable to even unlock the machine. Takes more than a week to get a new card.
Do 35 minutes of carving, get a z-axis stall message, told it's a bad motor, find out the control board is bad.

Sorry Connie. Don't think so.

lynnfrwd
04-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Does a learning curve mean that:
Right out of the box defective flash card unable to even unlock the machine. Takes more than a week to get a new card.
Do 35 minutes of carving, get a z-axis stall message, told it's a bad motor, find out the control board is bad.

Sorry Connie. Don't think so.

Frank, you are correct. Your issues when you first got the machine had nothing to do with a learning curve. I should have looked at the history before responding.

Machines occasionally arrive to the customer with an issue. Maybe UPS, maybe not. That is why we have a minimum 30 day warranty that protects your purchase. ALL machines are tested and QA'd before they leave our facility.

I do see that we brought your machine in and replaced the controller under warranty. I know the delay in using your new CW was not fun.

fspearman1
04-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Frank, you are correct. Your issues when you first got the machine had nothing to do with a learning curve. I should have looked at the history before responding.

Machines occasionally arrive to the customer with an issue. Maybe UPS, maybe not. That is why we have a minimum 30 day warranty that protects your purchase. ALL machines are tested and QA'd before they leave our facility.

I do see that we brought your machine in and replaced the controller under warranty. I know the delay in using your new CW was not fun.

Don't want to get into a ***** match here but suffice to say I am not comfortable with the quality of the machine nor with the responses from LHR.

Digitalwoodshop
04-16-2012, 08:47 PM
This Thread should be closed. It's a no win for everyone.

AL

fspearman1
04-16-2012, 09:34 PM
This Thread should be closed. It's a no win for everyone.

ALwhy should it be closed I am just stating my expierence with the machine and LHR.

cestout
04-17-2012, 06:14 PM
B with the CT spindle and C machines are almost trouble free. VAcuum and blow out after each carve, and keep them lubed correctly. However, at about 250 hours you will need to replace the brushes, and also about this time you will start having "Y" problems. YOU will need to replace the gear/spindle assembly and the 2 bearings. I just ordered 2 of the gear/spindle assys. from from LHR and 10 of the bearings from a source in a post in a currently running thread, for $0.55 each. The fox is inexpensive, and not at all difficult. For the average bear, I would say that is once every 1 1/2 years of heavy use.
Clint

SteveJ
04-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I thought I would mention that I have 320 hrs on my C machine in a year. At 70 hours one of the brushes fell apart, but I replaced the set at that time and it has done a fine jobe for me. I always use dust collection which keeps it clean. A simple wipe down and dry lube spray on components after the carve keeps it like new. LHR has always been very helpful and the FORUM members are priceless! Thank you all for the help! I enjoy my carvewright.

happy
04-18-2012, 08:02 AM
What kind of dry lube do you use

Bigtyme
04-18-2012, 08:47 AM
I very much agree with SteveJ.... I don't have as many hours on my CW as he does, but should be close to 200 when the 1 year anniversary rolls around. The members of this Forum are indeed PRICELESS!!! I have learned a ton here and hope to be able to contribute back as I learn more. I have used dust collection from almost day one and clean my CW after every carve. I have had to contact LHR a couple of times and they have always been very helpful and informative. My only regret is I should have added a CW to my shop earlier. It has been a great addition and I really enjoy the added dimension to what I can do in my shop.

chief2007
04-18-2012, 08:56 AM

If he uses the dry lubricant a lot of us use, that would be Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant

happy
04-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks Chief i'll have to get some

SteveJ
04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
This is what I use. I get it at TSC.