PDA

View Full Version : Not all locktite is equal

Ted Grinnell
12-14-2006, 09:23 PM
There are 3 or more types of locktite available on the market for securing screws. They are specifically made for different diameter screws. I recommend the Permatex "GREEN", because it is made for screws that are smaller. The RED may squeeze out of the threads and not supply the holding strength that you want.
You will want to put the Locktite on the threads of the screw only, NOT in the adapter. Putting it in the addapter runs the risk that it may lock your bit to the adapter, which would make it difficult to remove later.
Before applying locktite I cleaned both the bit and adapter with brake cleaner. This will remove any oils and waxy buildup put on them for shipping.

pkunk
12-14-2006, 10:08 PM
There are 3 or more types of locktite available on the market for securing screws. They are specifically made for different diameter screws. I recommend the Permatex "GREEN", because it is made for screws that are smaller. The RED may squeeze out of the threads and not supply the holding strength that you want.
You will want to put the Locktite on the threads of the screw only, NOT in the adapter. Putting it in the addapter runs the risk that it may lock your bit to the adapter, which would make it difficult to remove later.
Before applying locktite I cleaned both the bit and adapter with brake cleaner. This will remove any oils and waxy buildup put on them for shipping.
You might be right.... :)
But, Carvewright has speced red - has used red w/o any problems.
None of my stuff held w/ red has come loose, and I have to heat some of them to break them loose.
SO... Why?

Ted Grinnell
12-14-2006, 10:24 PM
If red works fine for you then great.

Even the most presentent locktite melts at 450 degree. Might want to put stubborn piece in oven.

Having been a master mechanic for 35 years I have picked up a thing or two along the way. Just offering an opinion.

PS I don't know much about wood, and would take a woodworkers opinion in a heartbeat.

flyboy
01-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Red Loctite will supply all the holding power you need, so much so that you may never get the screw loose without damaging them. Specifically rounding out the broach for the allen wrench if utilized on a set screw.

I recommend the use of Blue Loctite, it Holds strong and releases when you want to back out the screw.