PDA

View Full Version : Carving in Plastic

Ted Grinnell
12-14-2006, 08:02 PM
I carved 4 photos into 1/4" white translucent plastic. I set the feather to 0 and .125 depth. This attached photo does the results little justice. The detail is remarkable. Note that these are 3" X 5".

I understand that carving in plastic might dull the bit quicker. I have had no problems like that yet. I will keep you posted as I continue to let the plastic chips fly.

Randy in Minn
12-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I carved 4 photos into 1/4" white translucent plastic. I set the feather to 0 and .125 depth. This attached photo does the results little justice. The detail is remarkable. Note that these are 3" X 5".

I understand that carving in plastic might dull the bit quicker. I have had no problems like that yet. I will keep you posted as I continue to let the plastic chips fly.

Very nice. Where do you get the material and is it acrylic or carbonate or???

Ted Grinnell
12-14-2006, 08:20 PM
I got mine at a local plastic warehouse called AL-FLA plastics here in Mobile, Al. It cost about $200 a sheet for the 1/4" white translucent.
Note: I'm cutting an 8" X 10" of the salesmans wife and kits so that he can show off the work!

shaddy
12-16-2006, 02:32 AM
wow, what kind of plastic costs 200 a sheet? Must be good stuff.

I haven't tried it on the CW yet, but for my laser I use cast acrylic from delviesplastics.com,

Extruded might carve better, cast is more brittle. Plus all I have on hand is clear cast.

One thing, if their acrylic works, is to try to use acrylic mirror, etch the mirroring off the back, then spraypaint the back or adhere some colored felt.

Shaddy

Dan-Woodman
12-16-2006, 04:43 PM
You can also carve on the back of mirrored plasticin reverse.