PDA

View Full Version : Z axis stall error 313

GWW805
10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I am having trouble with a project. The machine completes the calibration of the bit position and when it goes to finding surface it sinks the bit into the board and stalls. What could be the problem? Any help is appreciated

Greg

Digitalwoodshop
10-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Sinking into the board and stalling is a SERIOUS problem.... Could even be a BAD COMPUTER....$300.00....

First thing I would do is format and reload the software on all of your cards. The Operating System is located on your card and as you upgrade to 1.175, it changes the way the machine operated. The Machine is Brain Dead without the memory card installed and running the operating system.

What appears to happen is in that moment the bit touches the board, the machine is monitoring the current of the Z Motor. When that current increases due to bumping into the wood, then it will reverse directions of the Z Motor noting the Encoder Count as the board Surface. It does the same thing for the Bit Plate and even when you turn the machine on it does a Homing of the Y and Z... The Y bumps into the left side near the keypad... The Z bumps into the upper mechanical stop pin.

Some other things to look at.... Length of your bit... If you use the 1/8 inch Cutting Bit, make sure it is not sticking out TOOOOOOO FAR.... I install a locking ring at the bit just before cutting area so most of the mounting shaft is inserted into the chuck.

What is your Board Thickness? Are you using a Sled or Carrier Board....?

AL

GWW805
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
I am using a sled and the board is 1.08". Does the tip of the bit touch the metal plate during the calibration? My unit is not

earlyrider
10-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Check the Z rails and belt and cogs for impacted dust; check that the length of the exposed portion of your bit is within range (more problematic with the Rock chuck if you haven't added a stop ring on the bit shaft); what are you trying to cut? The bit will sink into foam and other soft materials and won't be able to record a uniform surface measurement. If you are trying to cut foam, try slipping a credit card or something like it into the area where the bit drops to find the surface.
Ron

Digitalwoodshop
10-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I am using a sled and the board is 1.08". Does the tip of the bit touch the metal plate during the calibration? My unit is not

That is a key thing.... Are we talking about the Bit Plate.... The Bit Plate is a important thing as it marks or locates the end or tip of the bit. It is moved out into position by the Y Truck. Binding or the Right Side Cover Switch Wires in the back of the right side cover prevent the Y head from moving all the way right to push the Bit Flag Out.

I and many others tape a piece of foam behind the plate to keep it extended all the time. No problem unless you cut a 14.5 wide board then it will get in the way.

The other plate is the right side guide plate..... It should stay the thickness of a Quarter away from the board to prevent binding. For a Cut Through, it uses the Bit Plate to get board thickness, the right plate is the bottom of the board.

Let us know....

AL

GWW805
10-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Good call Ron. Impacted dust on the z rails. Cleaned it up and works like a top. Thanks guys.......................