PDA

View Full Version : Board find fault

serbert
12-14-2006, 06:45 PM
When trying to start a project, seems like my machine is not recognizing the work piece. I am getting a "Board Find Fault" error 484. The Flash Manager says send to CW but that also gives an error 902. Any one else having this experience or can you help me? Will ask CW tomorrow? :roll:

Dan-Woodman
12-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey serbert
A couple things to try,
make sure the straight edge of your board is next to the fence and on the little roller in the middle. Thats the board sencer.
Then when you crank the handle down on the wood until it clicks, try
pressing down on the carrage that the head rides on as you crank the hand a little more to get a little more pressure on the rollers.
sometimes this helps with alarms.
Also , what color of wood are you useing?
Somtimes real light wood might need a strip of tape across it .

Joshua
12-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I too am having a Board Fault Error 484 but only after many attempts to get the bit loaded and calibrated. The odd part is that the board is measured just fine. Below are the basic steps.

1) Load Board (10x10.1/2 MDF)
2) Turn machine on with card in.
3) Select project
4) Asks about under rollers - Y
5) Machine measures board (gets it right too)
6) Asks keep original size - Y
7) Asks about center – Y and cut to size - N
8) Asks to select bit 1/16 Carver –Press enter (Before pressing enter it lets me switch between 1/16 and 1/8 carver. Is the 1/8 craver the other bit that comes with the unit. It is referred to as the 1/8 cutoff bit and not the carver. Either way this problem happens with either bit)
9) Moves cutter head to center
10) Load bit- close lid, hit enter
11) Cutter motor turns on for just about 2 second (This seems dangerous since the position is not well known and tested by the machine. What if I had left it on the work piece.?)
12) Bit moves to far left and does a series of up and down motions. It looks as if it goes all the way down and hits a small ribbed surface. (Is this the bit height sensor surface?)
13) Bit moves all the way to Right and repeats the same up down sequence. (There is a small lever that rotates out horizontally, is this the height sensor? I ask since the bit never hits this arm. However, if I had a bigger bit it would. This worries me since it is either not functioning now or is function correctly but will be big trouble if I ever use a larger bit. )
14) bit goes back to the left and repeats the up down thing on the left and right one more time
15) Goes to the left edge of the board and descends slowly but never reaches the board misses by ½ in or less. It does this in three different spots on the left edge then the right edge of the board.
16) Returns to the load position and asks for the bit. This process from step 10 to 16 will repeat seemingly forever until I hit stop. Then it repeats the sequence one more time and then finally gives the board error.

I have tried all the obvious things:
Reloaded the bit
Tried the other bit
Checked all the cables
Checked the board sensor
Reloaded the board
Checked the lever arm on the right side to ensure it could swing freely

At this point I’m stumped. The machine is brand new and has 0 cutting time. This is my test project. (For all the software developers out there my test project is a small Hello World Sign, it just seemed appropriate ;-) )

Of note this unit was one of the early Sears models that had the wrong firmware. As soon as the machine came on and showed the MWM tests menu I turned the machine off. I followed the process on the forum elsewhere and all worked accordingly. I checked the serial number in the memory and on the machine and they matched. According to the other post this means the firmware process went as planned and the machine should not have lost its calibration.

I just went back to try a few things and ensure that the steps described above is accurate this time the bit hit the small arm on the right side. Not on the top but on the side. It seemed to hit a bit of a snag but it didn’t cause a problem or stop. However, when it went back to the left the bit went down and then abruptly stopped with a z-axis 246 error.

My best guess is that the machine is out of calibration. This wouldn’t bother me except the calibration process calls for the 3/8 bit which did not come with the unit. Is there any way to calibrate the machine with out this bit?

TIA,
Joshua

serbert
12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
JOSHUA

This is serbert and it sounds like we are having the exact same problem. In addition I did the Board Sensor tests on page 37 of the Manual. My reading was 134 when it should be in the range of 150 to 170. Also when placing my hand under the Board Sensor the the LCD reading did not go to 50.
If there is no one else we should be ready to send this info to CW or if they get this post maybe will will get some help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My machine is also from SEARS and I went through the start up updates to arrive at the same point that you are.

SERBERT

Dan-Woodman
12-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Try this
turn machine on with card in etc.etc.
follow steps on keypad
it will tell you to load board
then crank the handle til it ratchets and see if the readout tell you to procede. sometimes the board does not get enough roller presure on it , thats when you have to press on the arm above the rollers while cranking the handle a little more.
Also make sure your board is beside the solid fence near the keypad and not on it and be sure to move the moveable fenceon the other end up to the board.

Joshua
12-18-2006, 08:05 AM
SERBERT,

Well, it is good to know it isn't just me. I added my post here because it sounded like the same problem. I did not do the test you mentioned on page 37. When I get a chance I will to see if your results are the same as for my unit. I did do the sensor check through one of the option menus and it seemed to know when the machine was homed and when it was over a board.

IMHO it is not a problem with the rollers, crank or the board sensor. The board sensor does find the edge of the board and is able to very accurately measure the board. This means the traction system, the roller sensor for the x axis, the board sensor and the Y and Z motors all have to be working correctly. I truly believe the problem lies in the bit sensor or the mechanics of detecting the tip of the bit. When we get the error that it can’t find the board I believe it means it can’t find the top of the board (0 in the z axis).

I will attempt to call CW and post whatever answer I get. Please call them too if you can. I’m not sure when I can and wont be able to test anything for a day or two.

Does your bit hit or miss the arm that swings out on the right side? I’m curious because I really feel as though this is a problem.

Joshua

Joshua
12-18-2006, 08:12 AM
Additional information for completeness:

Firmware version: 1.113 (I think)

Where can we find out what is the current version of the firmware? Is it only through the designer software?

I followed the updated lubrication instructions with the Gunk Industrial Chain Lube with Moly. IT seemed to go well. I did notice that there was a bit of lubrication fluid that had leaked unto the bit and bit holder even after the flex shaft had been dried. I’m wondering if this has caused a sensor to malfunction. All the excess lubrication fluid was easy to clean up and it didn’t get on the machine.

David M.
12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Joshua, when you are telling the machine to keep the board under the rollers, you need an extra 4 to 6" of board or you could get a board error. If your job is 12" long and you tell it keep it under the rollers you need a board at least 16" long. Could this be your issue?

Joshua
12-18-2006, 12:05 PM
David,

That is a good question about the under the rollers issue. It is not the problem for two reasons.

1) I incorrectly stated in the list of steps above that I selected yes for stay under rollers. I in fact selected no don't stay under the rollers.

2) The project is defined as 10x10 but the carving is much smaller, maybe 1.5x4. I wanted to position it on the board so I could rotate the board to do multiple samples on the same piece. So in essence I planned the Stay under function myself. Maybe this isn't the best solution but I'm new and learning.

Still I just can't believe it is a crank, roller, tread, or board sensor error since it is capable of measuring the board very precisely.

Joshua

David M.
12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Another thought, have you tried to go back to the computer and reload the job, overright the origninal and try again. I have had errors from the file just not loading quit right. It didn't show an error while writing but there was definitely something buggy and reloading fixed what ever it was.

Joshua
12-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Just got off the phone with CW and got some issues addressed.

So it seems there are two issues.
1) It turns out that there is a small problem when you use a 1/2 in. board.
2) The arm on some units is not swinging out all the way as it should to test for the tip of the bit.
CW has made a software update to address these issues that changes the way the movement and test for drag on the bit is done.

Here is what they explained to me:

The up and down motion on the left side does several things.
1) Clears the track of debris
2) Measures the drag for a clear pass while in the home position. This value is used later when it hits something on purpose.

The pass to the right is where the machine determines the location for the tip of the bit. The metal arm is supposed to swing all the way out and be hit by the tip of the bit. The software update they are testing should help with this by moving the Y axis almost all the way to the left about 1/2 in. shy and then slowly move to the left until it detects a stall. This should help the arm swing out all the way. Then it can find the tip by lowering the cutter until it detects drag greater then the test it did on the left side a few seconds earlier.

Chris R and John from CW explained all this in better detail. They are sending me a file to test the fix. I will report back if it clears up the problem.

Joshua
12-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Like most things there is good news and bad.

The software loaded and did change the behavior of the system while trying to find the tip of the bit and the top of the board.

When the cutting head travels all the way to the left it stops just before the end then slowly moves to the end. The arm does seem to swing out farther then before but not enough to stop the bit from traveling down past the arm. It just hits the rounded edge and pushes the arm out of the way.

The down pass to touch the tip is repeated twice with a in out jog of the Y axis. When this happens the arm moves in and out a bit but not enough to stop the bit again. After the second up down jog to test for the tip of the bit the cutter moves back to the left does another up down jog. This is where it froze last time. Now it proceeds to finding the surface. When it hits the material it gives a z axis stall error.

The good news is now that I know what is supposed to happen a little manual intervention can solve the problem.

Just before the Z axis descends to metal arm if you lift the lid it will stop.
Then you can push the cutter all the way to the right to get the arm to swing out.
Close the lid press enter
The head will jog until it hits the arm.
Then the Y axis will back of and try to go all the way to the right again.
You can hear the arm pop back to a neutral position.
Open the lid and push the y axis all the way to the right again so the arm is in the way of the tip.
Close the lid and press enter again.

Let the unit run and it will cut the board.

So I did manage to make my first pile of saw dust. The unit definitely needs dust control and vacuum ports. No need for all that dust to get all over everything.

The problem is not resolved for me with the new software but at least there is a workaround.

serbert
12-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I have been following the post on this subject, but a little busy with christmas. Where do I get this new software? It doesn't sound like its 100%. Should I get it from CW?

cmorlier
12-19-2006, 10:37 AM
One more thing to check...

Move the Y Truck to the left, so that you have a clear view of the right side of the Y track. If you look at the idler pulley on the Y belt, you will notice it attaches to a bracket with a spring loaded screw on the right side, and another screw on the top. Verify that the screw on top is completely tight.

If that doesn't fix it, we are also looking at some additional firmware improvements.

serbert
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
I just finished the "Stay under Rollers option" didn't get any better response from the machine.
Joshua I am looking for the metal arm that you are refering to; so I can try the procedure you described. Also I am contacting CW!!

Thanks

serbert
12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I contacted LHR by email Dec 19. They called me on Dec 20. On the Phone we went thru the Board Sensor test. They agreed that the sensor needed replacing. I should receive a new Part in a few days. Will report back.
Thanks!!!!!!!

Ted Grinnell
12-20-2006, 10:40 PM
The Arm that you mentioned in your first post is the heigth sensor. On my machine the arm doesn't come out enough for the bit to hit either, so I use a piece of wire to manually push it that 1/4" more that it needs to let the bit hit it. Works fine for me until after the holiday rush and I have some downtime to coordinate a repair with CW.

Joshua
12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Move the Y Truck to the left, so that you have a clear view of the right side of the Y track. If you look at the idler pulley on the Y belt, you will notice it attaches to a bracket with a spring loaded screw on the right side, and another screw on the top. Verify that the screw on top is completely tight.

In this picture you can see the mount mentioned. I can confirm that the screw on top is tight and the bracket doesn't move with a firm push. However, it is in the middle of the slot it can slide in. Is this the correct location for this screw. It seems to me that the extra lenght would solve the problem. The belt is tight but not very taught. It is easy for me to deflect the belt as much as I want without much effort. I believe it could be tighter without impeading performance of the timing belt.

chelbel196
01-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Hey just wanted to say i was having the same problems plus some---Chris was the best, he spent about 2 hours on the phone with me and got it up and running...I was ready to give up and he was there every step of the way Just Wanted to say Thanks