PDA

View Full Version : Woodgears

myersbear
12-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Can you make woodgears with the CarveWright, I will use 1/4" plywood. Thanks

wunderkind
12-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Ditto myersbear.
I believe that the key is to setup a sled. I look forward to a chat about this. It would be cool to make a wooden clock or any of a number of wooden gear operated toys. Could also be used to make fretwork. Are there any seasoned carvers out there that have tried these ideas? The the things you can do with this machine is amazing. I'm thinking of trying walnut veneer over maple but need to understand how to carve leaving some flat surface in the sculpture & yet still have depth. In otherwords have the middle of the carving (z axis) at the surface. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Jim

wunderkind
12-27-2006, 04:54 PM
My wife gets Scrollsaw magazine & just got the Spring issue which has the patterns for a wooden geared clock in it. My Compucarve is being worked on right now but when I get a chance I will see if I can make one with it.
Jim

Dan-Woodman
12-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Jim
You can create your flat seface in the middle by lets say-----start with an oval then recess,it automactically goes to a depth of 1/4".
Then take another oval smaller inside the first and recwess then change the depth on this one to 0.
Is this something like you had in mind?

wallyign
01-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Can you make woodgears with the CarveWright, I will use 1/4" plywood.

Yes I just finished making my first gear out of 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood. I started from paper plans and scanned them into Photoshop. I removed the background so that all you have left is the gear. Zoom in on the gear and make sure there are no holes in the outline of the gear.

Imported into CW software, resized gear, use outline pattern and cut path. I only had to edit a few cutpaths and flip cut side for outside cog cut.

I sandwiched two 1/4" plywood togeather using 2 sided carpet tape to get the minimum thickness.

The finished gear was pretty good and the size was almost bang on. Heck of a lot better and faster than making two gears on the scroll saw. I saw on the net someone was using Maple MDF Board, I have never seen this type of MDF but I will look at it the next time I am at my supplier.

Here is a picture talk just as it came out of CW. No sanding just blew it off with air.

BobHill
01-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I'd say that's a great example of some pretty nice wooden gears.
Bob

wallyign
01-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Thanks Bob.

With a few more gears under my belt, I am well on my way to making a wooden clock

Wally

BobHill
01-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Wally,

Be sure to take periodic photos and post them of your clock and it's works. It's always great to see and talk over the work everyone does. It's also inspiring as to what one can think of adding to their "to do" list. Having said that, I've attached a couple photos of some of the work I've done on my machine in my main hobby (model ship building from
scratch).

I'm building a scratch model of the Union ironclad USS Cairo (now in Vicksburg, Miss). This shows one of the design pieces, batched parts, and a jig holding 85 sistered frames (14 parts per frame) of the 115 total frames I have to build before making and installing keels, hull, and full interior (center paddle wheel and boiler fed twin steam engines with pitman arms). The hull will be 41" LOA and 1`2" beam.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Bob

BenCraig
01-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Bob,

That is really neat. Is there a place to buy patterns for ships, or have you created it from scratch?

BC

BenCraig
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Wally,

Have you been able to complete a clock yet? I would like to see pictures, if you're willing to share.

Thanks,
BC

BobHill
01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
Ben,

The resurrection of the USS Cairo rests on a constructed frame in Vicksburg Mississippi in the National Park there. Although certainly not complete constructionplans, the lifts and profiles of the ship has been made available by the National Park Service and from those and a lot of research, plans to make the scratch buiilt parts, such as the frames you see have been constructed by a group of us that wish to make a model of her. The bow frames haven't been constructed yet, as this isn't a guess work project. It's intended to be built as close to the way the original one was made as possible, including the paddle wheel, boilers and twin steam horizontal engines.

There are plans available to many ships, however, as well as kits and lifts where you can make your own scratch built model .... plank on frame, plank on bulkhead, or even solid hull models. As you might imagine, the CarveWright has definitely found a way in my shop for model making.

Bob

wallyign
01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi BenCraig

I have got most of the clock parts made now, but my wife wants a new floor in the dining room, 2 bedrooms and hallway. So I have been doing that in my spare time. Got one bedroom done.

I will post pics whenever the clock starts ticking.

Wally

Charles M
01-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Can you make woodgears with the CarveWright, I will use 1/4" plywood. Thanks

I am a newbie who is waiting for delivery of my machine (hopefully today!) and wood gears will be on of my first projects. I found this while looking for plans and since they are PDF files they can be scaled easily with Photoshop:
http://www.woodenclocks.co.uk/downloads.htm

wallyign
01-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Charles

I checked out your link, I think those would be difficult to produce, especially for your first project.

I see that there is a very nice looking plan for a wooden Gear Clock on the cover of the latest ScrollSaw magazine. It is not available in any of the local magazine stands in my small town, but I intent to get it when we go to a bigger center. It may be my next project once I get my first clock running.

Wally

Charles M
01-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Wally,

Thanks for the tip on the Scroll Saw Mag. I'll check that out. Could you elaborate a little on how to determine if a plan is feasible or not for a beginner (or even for the experienced)?

Thanks,
Charles

Frebird798
01-25-2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.scrollsawer.com/pdfdownloads/Wooden-Clock-Pattern-2.pdf

wallyign
01-25-2007, 08:01 PM
Charles,

The things that I look for in a pattern is the outline of the gears. If they can be scanned and easily cleaned up so that you only have the outline of the gear left. I also look at the other parts to see how hard they are to make. Some times you may need a wood laythe to make some parts.

My daughter sent me the ScrollSaw mag today and the wooden gear clock pattern in it looked pretty good. It has a few more metal parts than usual but I think I may give this one a try next.

Wally

wallyign
01-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Charles,

The things that I look for in a pattern is the outline of the gears. If they can be scanned and easily cleaned up so that you only have the outline of the gear left. I also look at the other parts to see how hard they are to make. Some times you may need a wood laythe to make some parts.

My daughter sent me the ScrollSaw mag today and the wooden gear clock pattern in it looked pretty good. It has a few more metal parts than usual but I think I may give this one a try next.

Wally