PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions on new Sears unit

alexa
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
I just picked up my Compucarve tonight from Sears and I have two basic questions that I could not find answers to in the manual or in the forums. (see attached picture for details)

1. The flexible shaft has a wire support loosely attached to it. Should this be removed?

2. Inside the machine on the side away from the control panel is a lever marked "release". I do not know what this lever does.

Thanks for any help.

Al

pkunk
12-13-2006, 08:43 PM
!. no-that supports the flexshaft .
2. the lever I think you're refering to locks or releases the board guide. Release to move it to the left to butt up against the board

David M.
12-14-2006, 09:54 AM
That's not the board guide, you can see that all the way to the left in the picture. It looks like the cover to the gear box has been redesigned with a release handle to open it.

That's differant from my Cw machine, what is that Chris?

pkunk
12-14-2006, 10:01 AM
I didn't see that, David. The pic quality is poor, but I think you could be correct in your assumption. The folks at Carvewright are really busy these days, so we may not know for sure right away.

David M.
12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Double click on the picture and it should pull up a larger image that you can see clearly. This is something new to the Compucarve machine, mine doesn't have it. Mine is a black gear cover that is sealed with silicone.

alexa
12-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the info..

Please note on the picture of the flexible shaft that one end of the support wire (near the end of the shaft that goes into the cutting truck) is not attached. Should it be attached? Is it a problem that it is not attached and how can that be corrected? Can the CompuCarve be used with the way the flex shaft is currently set up?

Thanks again

Al

pkunk
12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
I see it now. A better pic would have helped. The wire can be shoved into the plastic sleeve. I secured mine at both ends with a wrap of electrical tape. The purpose is to support the flex shaft.

alexa
12-14-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can epoxy and electical tape the wire back.

I would have put a higher resolution picuture up but I did no want to hamper people with a slow connection from accessing it... will do better in future posts.

By the way. my wife and I like (and can relate) to your signature line.

Al

alexa
12-14-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can epoxy and electical tape the wire back.

I would have put a higher resolution picuture up but I did no want to hamper people with a slow connection from accessing it... will do better in future posts.

By the way. my wife and I like (and can relate) to your signature line.

Al

crawls
12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
The lever arm in question is the new mechanical bit find. Due to dust contamination, the lens cover popping off, and other issues; we decided to replace the led-electronic bit sensor with the mechanical one. The y-truck will be driven to the far right side of the machine, hit the lever arm, and the arm will move out and under the bit. Then the bit will touch off the plate a few times to find the bit tip.

alexa
12-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi Chris,

1. Is there any user action required with this release lever?

2. what should I do about the flex shaft issue?

crawls
12-14-2006, 05:01 PM
There is no action required with the lever. The wire support can be epoxied in as suggested.

Shawn Gillies
12-14-2006, 06:01 PM
edited