PDA

View Full Version : Can you do Roman Ogee inside a cut path?

stoltz
10-19-2010, 07:24 AM
I am trying to make a picture frame. Outside dim are 24" x 24". Inside that space are several 4x6, 4x4 and a 5x7 opening for different pictures. I can easily cut out those spaces, but can't figure out how to put an ogee on the inside of them for a little decoration.

Any ideas?
Can you direct me to a tutorial?

Thanks,
Scott

bjbethke
10-19-2010, 08:35 AM
I am trying to make a picture frame. Outside dim are 24" x 24". Inside that space are several 4x6, 4x4 and a 5x7 opening for different pictures. I can easily cut out those spaces, but can't figure out how to put an ogee on the inside of them for a little decoration.

Any ideas?
Can you direct me to a tutorial?

Thanks,
Scott

For a 24 inch frame you need to carve that on two boards. It is easy to add trim to the cut outs with any bit, just select a bit then apply the cutout. It is a little tricky to make the cutouts on the glue seam, but it can be done.

stoltz
10-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks,
Yeah, I know about the 2 boards.
When this thing cuts, will it cut out the inside shape first, then use the ogee bit? I don't want to go too deep with the ogee because I hope to put a recess on the back for the glass.
Thanks again

bjbethke
10-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Thanks,
Yeah, I know about the 2 boards.
When this thing cuts, will it cut out the inside shape first, then use the ogee bit? I don't want to go too deep with the ogee because I hope to put a recess on the back for the glass.
Thanks again

Your cutouts are the last function, the back side of the board will cut first, make sure you flip the board the right way. There is a Tips and Tricks PDF that shows how to do that.

stoltz
10-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Just did a practice run on the back. I set a carve region for the recess of the glass. The machine carved for the glass, but also carved that same depth on the inside of the cutout. That isn't necessary since the cutout will be tossed. It took a lot of extra time. Is there a way to draw 2 rectangles, one inside the other and have it carve between them?

bjbethke
10-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Just did a practice run on the back. I set a carve region for the recess of the glass. The machine carved for the glass, but also carved that same depth on the inside of the cutout. That isn't necessary since the cutout will be tossed. It took a lot of extra time. Is there a way to draw 2 rectangles, one inside the other and have it carve between them?
You need to use the 3/8th inch bit to make that a vector cut, draw a rectangle and use the 3/8 or 1/2 inch bit to make that cut.

You can carve an pattern on the tossed part??? You may make a buck or two for it.

stoltz
10-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all of your help.
1 last question... in your 3rd thumbnail, how would I remove the little lip left at the bottom of the ogee? You can see the ogee profile, then there is a little lip below it. I tried to eliminate it by making the vector cut deeper on the back, but I think that got rid of the tabs and it gives me an error code.

mtylerfl
10-19-2010, 02:35 PM

Hello,

If using a carve region, yes you can draw two concentric rectangles (one inside the other and have it carve between them)...the center one would be a Carve Region BUT with a ZERO depth...the outer one would be a Carve Region set at whatever depth you want. Doing it this way would cause the carving bit to only carve out the area between the two rectangles.

Having said that, I like BJB's suggestion better. It will be faster, too. You can use the 1/8th cutting bit to do this if you don't own a 3/8 or 1/2 bit. You would need to draw several concentric rectangles and manually assign the bit (just as you would for the 3/8 or 1/2 bit). Draw the rectangles in such a way that the 1/8th bit diameter would overlap the adjacent lines slightly to yield a smooth pocket area. Make sense?

bjbethke
10-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for all of your help.
1 last question... in your 3rd thumbnail, how would I remove the little lip left at the bottom of the ogee? You can see the ogee profile, then there is a little lip below it. I tried to eliminate it by making the vector cut deeper on the back, but I think that got rid of the tabs and it gives me an error code.

That little lip left is the bottom of the Ogee bit. You can adjust the "inset" on the cutout to remove that, but also check the cut on the back side after you do that.

That lip then will be on the cutout part.