PDA

View Full Version : How to make a picture look good

Kurtsara
12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
I have this picture of our ATV clubs logo and I am wondering how to make it look decent on a carving.

I have tried carving with the picture carved into the wood and with the picture raised from the surface and I don't like the look of either

Do I have to touch up the picture or make it black & white and try that, any sugestions?

pkunk
12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Try converting it to grey scale and see what it looks like. Then you might try to remove some of the detail. I'm not much good at this end either.

mikevds
12-13-2006, 09:31 PM
You really need to clean it up. If you put it in a paint program, like PhotoShop, it looks ok, until you zoom way in. You have all sorts of artifacts (dabs of different colored pixels) all in it, that when carved will come out as bumps. The best thing to do is use as few colors as possible, then make what colors you do use solid. It might be helpful to scan the artwork at a higher resolution for editing.

Dastardly Den
12-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Start with this. The zipped file is a vector of your picture. Easier to edit. I only spent a couple of minutes on this. So fool around with it and see what you can do.