PDA

View Full Version : Cut out feature

Oldtrainerguy
10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Fellow Carvers

I have imported some images to my files and want to cut them out. I click on the outline tool but it will not let me use the cut out feature. What am I doing wrong?

henry1
10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
what software you have the 1,175

lynnfrwd
10-18-2010, 11:38 AM
I believe outline only works on patterns. Not imported images such as photographs.

atauer
10-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I believe outline only works on patterns. Not imported images such as photographs.

An imported photo would be turned into a pattern, so it should work Lynn.

Does the image get outlined? It may be a case where the software is not fully outlining the image properly, due to it being either too small, or having a weird line area. Try increasing the size of the outline. That may open up the cut-path option.

Also, can you post your project file? That would help tremendously.

Oldtrainerguy
10-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Have the newest version of the software. Will try to increase the image size and see if that works. All of the imports are free clip art images with no copyright restrictions

AskBud
10-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Have the newest version of the software. Will try to increase the image size and see if that works. All of the imports are free clip art images with no copyright restrictions
Post your MPC so we may see your situation first hand.
AskBud

TerryT
10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Sometimes a pattern may not have a clear enough edge. The program will outline it but in multiple sections,seperate lines instead of one solid outline. Sometimes changing the depth can help.

atauer
10-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Sometimes a pattern may not have a clear enough edge. The program will outline it but in multiple sections,seperate lines instead of one solid outline. Sometimes changing the depth can help.

I think that is what is occurring Terry, which is what I was trying to explain. You did a much better job than I did at the explanation though. It would also help a lot if the actual project was posted, that way we could tell for sure.

Digitalwoodshop
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
What I have done in the past for this situation is bring the clip art into the pattern library. Make a 14.5 inch board and make place the pattern on the board as big as you can. I then manually trace the lines using the line and connect tool. Making it as big as you can when drawing makes the drawing look better when done when you make it smaller.

AL

TerryT
10-18-2010, 01:58 PM
I think that is what is occurring Terry, which is what I was trying to explain. You did a much better job than I did at the explanation though. It would also help a lot if the actual project was posted, that way we could tell for sure.

Oops. Sorry Alex, I guess I didn't really read your post.

atauer
10-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Oops. Sorry Alex, I guess I didn't really read your post.
No I am actually glad that you posted Terry. It explained things better than mine did.

Oldtrainerguy
10-18-2010, 03:24 PM
I will try to post tonight or in the AM when I am at my home computer
I will try to enlarge then manually trace and see if that helps.
Thanks guys

bjbethke
10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Fellow Carvers

I have imported some images to my files and want to cut them out. I click on the outline tool but it will not let me use the cut out feature. What am I doing wrong?

You need a closed loop to make the cutout. If you have more than one pattern (PTN's) then right click on the board and select all or group the patterns, then click Outline.

Oldtrainerguy
10-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys.
With ya'lls help I believe I figured it out. I will post my finished pics as soon as I stain and finish