PDA

View Full Version : Edge Detection failed error 400

JimStaley
10-15-2010, 09:47 AM
I get the error whenever I try to run a project or measure a board. All sensors seem to be working correctly. The only peculiarity is that the Y sensor reads -0.122 at the edge, not 0. Is that significant? If so, how to repair?

Digitalwoodshop
10-15-2010, 12:28 PM
That could be normal... the machine bumps into the left side and reverses directions to find home position... That -0.122 might be bump, change direction and 1 count in the other direction..... Also known as Zero.

Edge Detection is all about the Board Detector....

First thing... How dark is your wood.... If you are using dark wood, the board detector uses 2 LED's to shine light at the board and between the LED's is a hole with a receiver. Like you shining a flashlight into the night and then hitting a reflector and seeing the reflective light. A dark board will not return enough light to let the board detector find the edge of the board.... So if it IS a dark board.... A Simple Fix is apply a strip of masking tape on the left and right side of the board to give the machine some contrast to see a difference. Also place a strip at each END for length....

SO if you are using light wood.... Then the next step is to use a piece of white paper on the board and crank the head down on it... You should then get about 156 for the board detector reading. A 90 is bad....

On the older board sensors the LED's would snap off if you are still using a QC due to vibration... One broken LED can give you this issue. A new board detector can solve this. They are glued to prevent that problem.

You can remove the plastic window on the bottom of the board detector and try cleaning it....

What are your board Detector readings on white paper?

AL

JimStaley
10-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for responding Al,
I use a white melamine surface biard to check the board sensor. I get about 155. I have the newer chuck system. Run that by me again about the Y axis readings. Are they normal?

DocWheeler
10-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Jim,

I think that the "calibrate" function could be used to bring the reading to zero if needed.
Are you getting the 400 error when measuring length or width?

If it is in the X direction it could be dust under the left roller or something else holding the
roller up when the end-of-board is detected - at least that is what I found on pre-.7?? firmware.

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I am with Doc, it could be something with the Brass roller....

Start again,

After starting a project does the machine measure the width of the board OK.... Then the length OK... Where does it fail?

Use the Options and sensor data to check the rollers compressed and un compressed.

AL

JimStaley
10-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Thanks.
It gets the error as soon as it starts to measure in the Y direction.

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2010, 03:52 PM
ok...

Using the Y Data in the LCD... Slowly move the Y from left to right looking for linear counting as you move. No stopping to move in numbers while still moving the head. Zero will be where the head is when you turn the power on...

Looking for data not changing properly.

Causes can be:

A dirty or bad encoder on the back of the Y Motor.... Black carbon type dirt or dust on the clear disk marked with lines.

OR a bad FSC Cable..... Broken wire.....

OR the clear disk of the encoder is slipping.

OR the bearings in the Y Gear Box are bad...

OR a bad Y Servo Motor....

OR a Bad Y Servo Driver Transistor inside the Computer..... A $300.00 fix...

Let us know...

AL

JimStaley
10-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks again
I tried moving the carriage in the Y direction starting at the near end and finishing at the far end. Readings appewared to be smooth. I tried once more to measuire. This time, I did not get the error. I learned long ago when I was boy engineer that problems that go away bu themself come back by themself. I wonder if moving the carreiage slowly the whole way cleared something or...?

Digitalwoodshop
10-16-2010, 06:49 PM
I am working on a $1.6K Fire Tag order tonight, finally.... A Tag Order... While I am working I am thinking about your problem and just looked back for a update.... It made sence.... That it is now working....

What was the board sensor reading on the board? If you checked earlier?

I have had a problem as simple as a dirty board detector or stuck roller or decided to ABORT the project where the machine was doing something in the Y Direction when I stopped the machine....

I remember this has happened a few times that the Y being confused..... I pressed stop and then start and got the project menu and tried to start a project again and the machine did strange things.... THE TRICK.... Is to remember to turn OFF the Machine and let is RE BOOT and Find HOME AGAIN..... I am thinking that it is possible that had you turned off the power and back on the problem would have gone away.... It's like a "Windows" Program.... You need to shut all the Windows and Re Boot....

AL