PDA

View Full Version : Our new Bird and Branch Welcome

TerryT
10-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of our new "Bird and Branch Welcome" sign. I tried the "pierced carving" for the first time. I won't do it again with this sign. I didn't like the finished product as much as regular carve. Great sign! The pattern is only $10. This should be a good money maker at the home and garden shows this coming spring.

Go to this link

http://store.carvewright.com/pattern.php?vendor=terryt&page=2

DocWheeler
10-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Nice design Terry. Why didn't you like the "pierced" option?

TerryT
10-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Ken,
I didn't like the way it flattened out the pattern. It set the carve depth to .75 and the finished product was too thin and seemed to lack detail.

DocWheeler
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Terry,

I didn't know that taking that option that it would change the height/depth settings!
I have not used it, I'm just a hobbyist.

TerryT
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Well Ken, it was the first time I have ever used it also. Could be I did something wrong. But I was disapointed in the outcome.

mtylerfl
10-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Well Ken, it was the first time I have ever used it also. Could be I did something wrong. But I was disapointed in the outcome.

Hi Terry,

The design looks great! Did you already try setting the Height at "999" before carving with the pierced setting?

EDIT: I downloaded the Try-Before-Buy. The pattern is already at a 0.73" depth, so the "999" setting won't help much for that particular pattern. However, you can reset the Depth to say, 0.5" then do a pierced carve for a surrounding rectangle (carve region). Don't assign the pierce to the pattern itself...just the carve region that surrounds it. You'll be able to get a "beefier" result and still keep a good detail...set Height at 999 helps detail, and of course Bit Optimization:BEST

TerryT
10-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Cool! Thanks Michael, I'll give it a try on the next one.

rcdages
10-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Terry,

Very nice pattern, great job.