PDA

View Full Version : Board size

Oldtrainerguy
10-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I am new to the machine and am having trouble with board size.

I tried twice to insert and carve an 8x10 board then rout the edge. It looked good on the computer but the machine cuts it much smaller than the lay out. when I insert a larger board it will cut a pattern. Do I need a jig? I should just be able to insert the board and it should cut to the spec I laid out on the software

Help the newbie!

lynnfrwd
10-14-2010, 03:59 PM
7" Rule! Almost every newbie does this. If you select to "stay under rollers" (and you should in most cases to prevent snipe), you must add 7" to the length of the board or use a jig that has additional 3 1/2" on each end.

Watch the video, do the 5 Project Designs under LEARN - TUTORIALS - PROJECT DESIGNER, read the Tips & Tricks, read your manual and THEN carve a project!

cnsranch
10-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Welcome to The Forum (sounds like a Vegas Showgirl, huh?)

Make sure you read all the Tips and Tricks issues on CW's website - they're great.

Your real board is the same size as your "Virtual" board in Designer. That violates the "7" Rule.

When you load a board that's the same size as the Virtual board, you have to tell the machine "No" when it asks you to "Stay Under Rollers". If you tell it "Yes", it will scale your project, and the world will blow up...

Not really, but it will really screw up your project.

Again, read the T&T's as soon as you can - it will save a lot of expensive firewood.

cnsranch
10-14-2010, 04:03 PM
7" Rule! Almost every newbie does this.

Quick like a bunny!!

'Ive never routed the edges/ends, but you'd have to make the board the same size as Virtual, and "No" to stay under the rollers, right?

Oldtrainerguy
10-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Well I be! no wonder I shot craps. Thanks guys. Made some great Lithopanes

rcdages
10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Newbie,

Believe me and the Forum members, the Tips & Tricks will serve you WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!