PDA

View Full Version : "check correct board load" error. Please help.

TurtleCove
10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
I finished a carving, and I see the two edges are routed, but I want to route the ends too.
So, I reloaded the board, found the menu option for routing the ends, and selected it.

It goes thru the steps, I load the ogee bit, it measures the board, but when it goes to measure the board thickness, it sets the bit down in the middle of the board and gives me message "check correct board load", and I can't go further.

Any ideas?

fwharris
10-13-2010, 08:06 PM
I finished a carving, and I see the two edges are routed, but I want to route the ends too.
So, I reloaded the board, found the menu option for routing the ends, and selected it.

It goes thru the steps, I load the ogee bit, it measures the board, but when it goes to measure the board thickness, it sets the bit down in the middle of the board and gives me message "check correct board load", and I can't go further.

Any ideas?

The bit is finding to top of the board, if it is going down into a carved area of the board then it thinks the board is thinner than what it expects..

TurtleCove
10-13-2010, 10:55 PM
No, I have made sure it's not going down into a carved region.
It is indeed going down to the top of the board...and as soon as it hits, it gives that error.

I'm too guessing it's incuring the board sooner than expected...but why?

fwharris
10-13-2010, 11:11 PM
What chuck are you using? I've read a few posts that rock useres needed to set the bit in further into the chuck.

RMarkey
10-14-2010, 09:17 AM
It sounds like it didn't measure the width correctly. It's supposed to touch the sliding plate to measure the width - not the center of the board.

TurtleCove
10-14-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm using the Rock chuck. I've got the bit, and the bit sleeve up, all the way into the chuck.

It seems to measure the depth correctly by touching the kick plate on the right, just fine, so I'd think it would have the bit depth from that.

One of the final steps, before it begins routing is it measures the board thickness. It touches down to the left of the board, and then moves over to touch down on the board. That's when it gives that error.

mtylerfl
10-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Is the board "light colored" or "dark colored"? (Dark boards, or a highly contrasting light/dark grain can confuse the board sensor - might cause the bit to lower onto the board before getting to the sliding plate area for touchdown.) Use light-colored masking tape along the area where the board sensor travels, stopping at the exact edges of the board, if you think the sensor might be "confused" due to the board color itself.

Also, can you "snug up" the bit farther into the Rock adapter itself? Maybe by an 1/8th inch or so...just thinking of a way for reducing overall bit length poking out from the Rock. (That may have nothing to do with the problem, but certainly worth a try if you verify the board sensor isn't the problem.)

EDIT: If possible, upload your MPC for us to take a peek at, just "in case" there is something amiss with the layout. NOTE: I am a little reluctant to route the actual board edges with the machine, since that requires the board leave the captivity of the pressure rollers...invites board tipping...better IMO to do actual raw edge decorative routes using a hand router or table router.

RMarkey
10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
You may have cut away some of the board where the Y truck travels to measure the width of the board. Use masking tape across the width of the board where the board sensor moves to accurately measure the width. It uses the width of the board to determine where the sliding plate is so it can measure the thickness.

scootertrash
06-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Any ideas?

Ancient thread but I figured I'd post a reply because i just ran into this and the cause was obvious in my case.

I used the 1/8th cutting bit to trim a board, everything went well, went to trim another and kept getting this error and couldn't5 get past it. The ding dang bit broke and this is the error that was generated.