PDA

View Full Version : Caricuture Lithopane?

flyingemt
10-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Ok, I realize this is 2D, but does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

I recently did one from a picture of my daughter that I was amazed at the detail, right down to her eyelashes.

Any input is appreciated, see attached.......

Flying...

Kenm810
10-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Looks Good to Me,

1/4" White or Bone Corian on a 1/4" Carrier Board or Sled should carve a great litho
I often add a 1/4'' taper at the edges to ease the carving bit into and out of the depth of the litho

eelamb
10-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Here is another one.

Edit:
Reposted the image inverted, see other post. Thanks DStimpson for pointing it out, overlooked it.

DStimpson
10-13-2010, 04:14 PM
One thing I have learned in carving litho's.........make sure that you set up the pattern so that you end up with your subject having "lobster-eyes". It doesn't look good or even right in the carving, but when illuminated from the back, it will look just right.

eelamb
10-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Correction, litho inverted.

TerryT
10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Wow, I'm impressed Eddie! Good job. I thought the other one looked good too (the inverted one).

karossii
10-14-2010, 10:53 PM
One thing I have learned in carving litho's.........make sure that you set up the pattern so that you end up with your subject having "lobster-eyes". It doesn't look good or even right in the carving, but when illuminated from the back, it will look just right.

What do you mean by lobster eyes?

DStimpson
10-16-2010, 05:38 AM
The eyes of the subject will look like they are raised or poking out too far....it's kinda hard to explain, but if you do it both ways (accomplished by inverting or non-inverting the pattern) and compare them, it will be obvious. Unfortunatley, you will sacrifice the media used for the incorrect one, but at least you will see the difference. It can be very dramatic and pronounced.

David