PDA

View Full Version : Learning how to use your CW/CC

Ike
10-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I know this is very elementary and I know as new user 4 years ago I bought a CC and instead of reading the manual I started using the machine. I thought I am a some what experienced woodworker and sign maker I can learn as I go. That was my first mistake

Every time something went wrong I would call LHR and they would always help, but I seemed to not listen as close as I should have. Mistake number 2, then instead of trying learn or listen I would exchange my CC and get a new one. I did this with 3 machines, the first CC there was reason to do so, but not the other 2. So instead of listening or reading or learning I opted to voice my opinion upsetting others only hurting myself......mistake number. Strike 3 I was out!

What did I care I had a Shopbot and a K2 CNC, that I never used $10,000 for a SB and $4,000 for a K2 and $1599.00 for my CC. I sold the SB the K2 is still unused and sits on my bench and 1CC and 2CWs later I am still using my CWs!

Why the long story? The reason is I sent my CC in for repairs when needed. I listened, read the forum and learned how to use my CW! That included using the designer and how the CW works and proper maintenance. Learning the part names and the function of the parts. Plus not being afraid to work on my CW. I use my CW for signs I make at fairs on the spot along with hand routed signs and if my CW has an issue I know how to fix it!

So to all those who have just bought this great machine read the manual and this forum. You will learn knowing how to operate and maintain is the biggest part of using the machine! I am still learning from others like Al (digitalwood) Ken (Kenm) Bud (askbud) Floyd (fwharris) Brandon (liquidguitar) Terry (TerryT) and many more I can write several more paragraphs!

Plus always remember it is always ok to ask questions even if you have or have not read the manual! And please read the replies carefully as the members take time to help you!

One more really important point, if you are new and experiencing issues chances are slim to none that is anything new! So do some research in the forum by using the search function. I know you will find that error or axis stall and I know for a fact Al (digitalwood) has several detailed post on the same subject! I bet he has them all save and just paste them every time the same issues arise!

Ike

CarverJerry
10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Those are some very good points Ike. I did read the manual but a lot of it was way over my head, but now after being on the forum for almost a year now I have learned so much just from reading other peoples problems and learned how to fix them. This goes along with picking up things about the designer and the scanning probe. Being able to download others designer patterns and use them on our own projects. There has been so many hours of hard work laid out and put on this forum. So I do want to say Thank You CW/CC forum and all the helpful guys on here for your dedicated input to help us all out, keep up our Great Forum.

CarverJerry

wasacop75
10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I too must voice my praise to all in the forum who have helped with out even knowing. From Jason at LRWS to Ike to askBud. to those and many in between. The new user needs to get on here and ask the simple questions, do the searches and just read what everyone else is posting and most of the problems will surface. Again, thanks to all who post, who help answer questions and provide mpc's to share.

cnsranch
10-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I too must voice my praise to all in the forum who have helped

Not the least of which is the guy that taught you how to pass an entire cheese sandwich through your nose.

(Credit George Carlin)

Ike
10-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Lol the late George Carlin, my Mom knew him his manager was in Folsom convalescent hospital where she worked. She was the admitting nurse and dealt with often. Funny thing he offered show tickets to his shows and she would not take them! She didn't find him funny!

I liked him, guess my Mom doesn't know s**t from Shinola!

Ike

cnsranch
10-14-2010, 02:42 PM
A buddy of mine and I, Juniors in High School, took a road trip to the University of Kansas in '73 to see Carlin live.......

Probably all I should say about that trip in writing http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_33_12.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000)

Ike
10-14-2010, 03:05 PM
1973!!! I was only 10 years old.

Ike

cnsranch
10-14-2010, 03:09 PM
How come you act so much older than me?

Maybe I should rephrase that.

Ike
10-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Lol I took an age test and with all my back problems etc., it showed me being 10 years older! So maybe that is why! Normally I am told I need to grow up! Opps we got off topic!

Ike