PDA

View Full Version : Rubber bit stops not adequate.

cestout
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I find the rubber bit stops for the CT don't work so to pretty good. They get worm and deform. They fall off straight bits. One fell of my 3/8 - 1/2" shank up-cut bit and ruined it. I now use a rub collar, from 1/4" shank stacking bits, for my 1/4" shank V bits. We need steel collars with set screws.
Clint

AskBud
10-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I find the rubber bit stops for the CT don't work so to pretty good. They get worm and deform. They fall off straight bits. One fell of my 3/8 - 1/2" shank up-cut bit and ruined it. I now use a rub collar, from 1/4" shank stacking bits, for my 1/4" shank V bits. We need steel collars with set screws.
Clint
You are correct, in that the LHR "Bit Stops" will deform. You could make your own from plastic hosing from your local hardware store.

Here is a thought for the straight bits:
You could have a collar with a set screw which you use for the initial set-up and carve placement; but, remove it prior to beginning that cut. The only purpose of the "Bit Stop" is to assure that the bit is equally placed the 1st & 2nd time.
AskBud

mark1945
10-11-2010, 04:34 PM
If you want a bit stop that actually works never has to be touched after it is installed on the machine not the bit.you are going to have to use the Muscle chuck which comes with a permenantly installed bit stop.Mine has sereral hundred hours on it and has performed flawlessly.And does not affect the balance or cause vibration.

Pratyeka
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
If you want a bit stop that actually works never has to be touched after it is installed on the machine not the bit.you are going to have to use the Muscle chuck which comes with a permenantly installed bit stop.Mine has sereral hundred hours on it and has performed flawlessly.And does not affect the balance or cause vibration.

Glad to see the CW version Eliminator RC chuck alive. Too bad the new Carvetight will eventually make all after market chucks obsolete since it is integral with the spindle shaft.
BTW, my CW is still running with my modified RC chuck glued-up the spindle, never any problems.

mark1945
10-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Mine are still doing great too Claude.I want to see how long the carvetight can hold up with the wedge locking system.Just am not impressed with a wedge only actually holding on 1 small area compared to a locking system that clamps the whole bit.And a permenant bit stop.

hess
10-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I have one of of Johns chucks it works great

cestout
10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
That is a good Idea Bud. The old QC bit adapters should work for that. I was going to look into cutting them short, but removing them will work. I am verry happy with the CT spindle. It is simple, quick , and balenced (no run-out). My only complaint is the bit-stop problem. I don't need to and I can't afford to buy after-market attachments. I am retired, living on investments and was doing quite well, but now my financial guy told me I need to get a job.
Clint