PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" collet setup

tking101
12-12-2006, 10:04 PM
The current 1/4" collet with two cap screws seems to be a poor solution for this type of machine. Why don't you produce a 1/4" collet like your 1/2" collet that is a REAL COLLET SYSTEM. There is no way of changing 1/4" bits that have to be held-in with "locktite" each time you change a bit. The cap screws are not that great and I can't see them lasting very long. The only solution that I can see doing, is to buy one 1/4" collet for each 1/4" bit in the system. I this your marketing plan? I do need to order bits and collets from you, but can't get through on the phone, can you call me so that I can order these things from you. Tim King ###-###-####

David M.
12-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I understand your point but to have to change the bit in the collet defetes the purpose of the quick change collets to start with. You should have a seporate one for each bit or their is no quick change system.

cmorlier
12-13-2006, 12:05 PM
I think this was posted elsewhere, but just in case. There was a mistake on the first shipments of machine to Sears. There should be two 1/4" adapters, but a 1/2" adapter was provided instead of one of the 1/4" adapters. The intention of the bit adapters is to have one per bit in your collection and to remove the adapter only when the bit needs replacement.

tking101
12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Dear CMorlier:
After talking with Chris over the phone he did explain your system better to me and I agree with your solution now. However, when you look at your web site showing all the different bits that can be used with your system it doesn't show or tell you that when you buy a router bit that it also comes with the collet as part of the price of the bit. Your picture of each bit should show the collet as part of the router bit so that you know that you are buying both. This would reinforce the idea of your easy bit change system, which by the way works great. Also, that the cap screws are needed to hold the carbine type bits which will slip in a true collet system without the set screw slots that a ground into each side of the carbine bit the bit can slip a little up if to much presure is placed on the bit. Thanks for the great support. Tim King