PDA

View Full Version : Z Axis problem

tking101
12-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I was trying to rout a 5 7/8" X 13" inch X 1/8"deep rectangle into a 11 3/4"X 23 3/4" X 5/8" thick board,board. The machine started out great and then when it reach the 7.5 mark it plunge the 1/8" bit into the board and contined to make passes until it cut through the board and cut into the round steet bar that holds the side guide. This project was going great and it's the first project that I tried with the machine. I throught this would be a simple test. Now with a broken bit, and I can't understand why the bit would cut deeper that 5/8" the program thickness of the board.
Also, the size of the rectangle was set at 5 7/8", but routed to 6" with the 1/8" bit. I throught the software would cal. the size of the object and then match the programmed bit so the the size would come out correct. I guess wrong?

Any idea's on what went wrong with this machine. From this simple test I can't ever see leaving it alone. I was right next to the machine and this happen very fast that I didn't have time to stop the machine before damage was done. I guess with some metal filing I could get the burrs off the shaft, I don't know what to do about the hole that the bit put in it.
Tim