PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Roller - Easy Fix with Pictures

Digitalwoodshop
10-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Well I finally had a stuck roller that no air blowing around the switch area would fix. This has helped many times in the past but today no luck. So for the first time I have had to remove the left keypad side.

The Fix turned out to be a quick process.... I removed the 2 bolts on the top of the machine leaving the top cover on. Removed the 2 screws on the bottom of the silver plate.

Picking up on the left side to disengage the plastic part of the cover from the hand crank vertical shaft.

Removed the screw from the plastic cover for the key pad wires and unplugged the keypad cable.

I then flipped the machine onto it's back or the muffler side to easier access the roller screws.

I used a ratchet 90 degree screwdriver to back off the 2 large screws that the spring presses the roller into as a stop. I did not remove the screws, just backed them off about 1/4 inch. I then blew air into the area and as expected a load of sawdust came out from the gap between the plate and the roller holder. The Problem was as simple as my blowing sawdust around had let enough build up on the bottom plate and the roller could not release enough to activate the switch.

I would go for this fix first before removing the switch and playing electrician. The Switch is enclosed enough that is it simply the sawdust getting packed into the gap when the rollers are compressed and I shot air into the machine to let the dust collection to pick up the flakes.

Here are some pictures....

AL

mtylerfl
10-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Thanks for another GREAT tip, AL! You're awesome!

Gary Koval
10-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Al,
Thank you for not sleeping to help us!

Digitalwoodshop
10-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys... I thought it was picture worthy... I have watched all the stuck roller posts in the past picking up info for my day in the repair shop.

It has been quiet in the shop with just a few sign orders, 3 being painted and 4 being cut today. I have been FrugAL with my Checking Account but it is down to about fifty bucks so ordering the new text feature will need to wait until next week. Two Fire Orders have been put on hold as they are applying for a safety money grant for next spring to get my products..... Better late than never....

Got a email tonight putting a smile on my face... A Quote for a Fire Department in North Carolina from April for over $1K now has the Chief's Blessing to start taking pictures this week.... C@@L.....

All I can do is plant the seed of my product and hope they remember me when the time comes....

Yes, I do work until midnight most nights.... I am a night person.... I like the morning TV Shows and spend time in my recliner sipping coffee until 10 AM.... I get my best work done between dinner and midnight. No interuptions... Good Music and Good TV.... Life is GOOD....

19 more posts and I hit the big BLABBER MOUTH POSTS of 5000.....

AL

liquidguitars
10-05-2010, 08:05 PM
nice job Al!
Time to rebuild my rollers soon, since i use sleds most of the time dust gets in the switch all the time, one thing that helped me clean the roller location was to drill a 1 1/2" hole in the side panel next to the sensor for the air gun to blast the roller out.

Digitalwoodshop
10-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I like that..... I push the air and dust further into the roller.... Great idea....

AL