PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Designer runs on my Vista machine!

DickB
10-05-2010, 07:40 AM
I have never been able to get Designer to run on my Vista machine. Yes, I followed installation instructions to the letter, and tried numerous other things.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?12300-Designer-v1.152-now-available-use-caution&p=100225#post100225
Every so often I would try again when a new Designer version was released, but no joy. Today I saw the release notice on 1.175 and a note in the change list regarding a Windows 7 hang, so I thought it was worth another try. Finally, it ran without the dreaded gui.exe error. The support folks never acknowledged a problem in the software. I wonder if the programmers know what they changed that allowed it to finally work for me.

mtylerfl
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I have never been able to get Designer to run on my Vista machine. Yes, I followed installation instructions to the letter, and tried numerous other things.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?12300-Designer-v1.152-now-available-use-caution&p=100225#post100225
Every so often I would try again when a new Designer version was released, but no joy. Today I saw the release notice on 1.175 and a note in the change list regarding a Windows 7 hang, so I thought it was worth another try. Finally, it ran without the dreaded gui.exe error. The support folks never acknowledged a problem in the software. I wonder if the programmers know what they changed that allowed it to finally work for me.

Hello,

Glad it's working for you!

FYI - I am setting up a brand new computer equipped with Win 7 64-bit, and installed Designer 1.164 and the new Designer 1.175. Both work flawlessly on this new system. Hooray! I don't know if it made any difference or not, but I right-clicked on the installer(s) and chose to "Run As Administrator" - it may have also worked just fine without doing that, but seems I read somewhere that it was always good to do that when installing any program on Vista or Win7.