PDA

View Full Version : Is Centerline Text Possible Inside a Carve Region Area?

vsman79
10-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Good afternoon,
I'm pretty new to CarveWright and it's software but have been able to do some pretty cool, albeit basic small sign work so far. Can someone tell me if it's possible to use Centerline Text within a carve region area? Or is Raster the only option within a carved out section?

Thanks all!

Gerry

atauer
10-01-2010, 03:31 PM
At this point in time, its not possible to add Centerline to a carved region. The software won't allow for it. Several different customers have done different methods for working around this, with pretty good results.

You are not limited to raster in a carve region. I myself have done a few projects using Outline within a carve region. The key is the depth setting of the text and the carve region. Your depth for your text has to be a little deeper than the depth of the carved region to get it to show up.

vsman79
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you very much Alex. Trying Outline never crossed my mind. I would have figured it'd work along the same lines as Centerline. I'll give that a try. Thanks again!

Gerry

Kenm810
10-01-2010, 05:30 PM
vsman79,

If you have a piece of scrap wood laying around,
you might try Merging the Raster text subtractive
with a little Draft to see how it looks.

Here a mpc file to play around with --- look at the depth of the carved regain and the Text

Capt Bruce
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
I used Additive raster text on a domed carve region to emphasize the text. Just another concept when we cannot apply Centerline. Carved in oak to protect the letters from chipping. 5 inches tall for reference.

Digitalwoodshop
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Here is a work around.... This method should be used with caution.... Since you are lying to the machine and telling it the board surface is at the bottom of the carve region and your bit could hit the sides of the carve region moving to position.

I have had good success making the Maltese Cross with Centerline Text in a carve region.... Here is how....

With this project I use place on end and assign my 4 inch standard dead space on the end. I tape a board on the end with masking tape. This lets me keep the nose of the board under a roller. I leave the board long and get excellent FrugAL usage out of my Clear Pine.

Lay out the project without the text and save it and send it to the memory card.

Rename the project and set the Maltese Cross to .1 depth. That way the V 60 text shows up. Size and place the text and then delete everything except the V60 text.

Save the project and send to the memory card.

At the machine be sure you have the user option menu setup to stop and ask you to jog to location. Cut the First file as normal and when you run it a second time, jog to the position for the V60 to touch the carve region text area. Run the file and you have Centerline in a carve region.... Remember you can TRIP the bit and cause a stall or damage if this area is TOO deep... Use with caution...

With this project, I actually cut 3 files... Cross, V60 and Drill and Cut Path. You can tape the board cut path to be sure the board does not break loose from the tabs doing the V60... I always set the tabs to 7 for each project too.

Another way is to draw a carve region around the carve region text area and make it a ZERO depth and add draft.... That is what I did for CarveNow's Cross.....

AL

lynnfrwd
10-07-2010, 04:12 PM
It is now with the new Conforming Vectors!

I so wanted to bust out with the news when this thread got started!!

Capt Bruce
10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Admirable self restraint Lynnfrwd! That and $2 will get you coffee at Starbuck's, but admirable all the same.

Digitalwoodshop
10-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Yes, it will save me MONEY !!!! and TIME....

Thanks,

AL

AskBud
11-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Here is a link to "Conforming Vectors".
It works with all vectors, including Centerline.
AskBud
http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwconform.htm

lynnfrwd
11-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Admirable self restraint Lynnfrwd! That and $2 will get you coffee at Starbuck's, but admirable all the same.

I can get a Starbucks for $2?!?!?

Ike
11-09-2010, 05:01 PM
I can get a Starbucks for $2?!?!?

Lol a small regular coffee!