PDA

View Full Version : design question?

lpj1019
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I want to make a large sign on (3) 1x12's.....I read the tips and trick for ""my big sign" which is very helpful. The sign that I want to make will have a carved region 1.5" away from the board edges, it will have (1) image and it will have (3) seperate text lines cut in raster so it has the raised letter affect......MY QUESTION, is there a way to lock all the items together as one so when I resize it to fit on three boards to make all my seams line up more accurately?

Thanks
Paul

Digitalwoodshop
09-28-2010, 01:31 PM
You might have problems with the carved out region and having a 1.5 inch un carved wood on one side to let the roller ride on it. If the far side has all the wood missing the roller will fall into it... You could glue a strip of wood to the cut side to give the roller something to roll on and easily removed later.... A one sided sled....

The best way to give you some control over position on the board is to use place on end and use the measurements to line things up... I HATE using Center on the Work piece as the machine must measure the board TWICE.... A waste of time and wear on the machine.

You can include the wood strip in the Designer, pushing the artwork away from the glued on rail.

AL

AskBud
09-28-2010, 02:17 PM
I want to make a large sign on (3) 1x12's.....I read the tips and trick for ""my big sign" which is very helpful. The sign that I want to make will have a carved region 1.5" away from the board edges, it will have (1) image and it will have (3) seperate text lines cut in raster so it has the raised letter affect......MY QUESTION, is there a way to lock all the items together as one so when I resize it to fit on three boards to make all my seams line up more accurately?

Thanks
Paul
As Al stated, you will need a sled (or rails) for any section that does not have a un-carved edge on the keyboard side.
I presume you understand that you design one full layout of your sign. Note your Machine (CW) replies on the first MPC so you give the same answers on each section. From there you just move the design up, or down, for the next of your MPCs. By doing this, all pieces should remain the same size.
AskBud

kevspearl
09-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I am working on a similiar project. My carving is two 12 in sections. I would like to enlarge it to three sections. I found that creating a 14 inch board gave me 12 in section I wanted. I will have to cut the top and the bottom of the board but this was a test to see how this would work. I like the idea of building a sled and inserting the piece to be carved thus elimating the final cutting. Is there a design for the sled you are considering? How do you adjust for the depth of the board? Are the rails on the sides and the ends adjustable? What about the depth of the piece to be carved? Do I need a sled for each carved depth? In my design I am also concerned with matching the sections together. When I expand to larger signs the matching of these sections becomes more of an issue. That is why I want to get it right on this cut. How did your design work out? Were you able to match the lines in your carving with the middle section? Did you use a sled?