PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the Traction Belt

shannonsdad
09-23-2010, 08:04 PM
My traction belt just tore on my machine... can anyone tell me how to replace them... doesn't look very easy to get too.
Any help would be great.

gsdsj
09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Check here

http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm

shannonsdad
09-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Thank you... any idea where to buy one?

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
LHR is the best place. Sand Paper or get the new Kevlar.

Some guys messed around with a sand paper supplier but never heard much about it.

To ease the Shipping you should order 2 sets if you get Sand Paper....

Order one 1/8 inch cutting bit for that weekend when you snap one..... Or get 2....

Order the Cut Motor Brushes for that 250 cut motor hour change out....

Something caused that belt to rip.... It could have been a rolled up belt at the brass roller... you need to watch that every day.... You can rip the belt in 1/2 inch strips to get back carving, I ripped my belt 10 times before I replaced it....

Wood Jamming in the machine and rip the belts too..... You should ALSO order the X Gears when you order the belts to have them... They snap when the belts jam and they could already be broken. Order them now to save on shippng.... Tapered wood... Right side guide too close....

Yes, I am saying spend spend spend.... But you save on shipping by doing it now.... Everything on that list you will need at some time....

AL

kool69sporty
09-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Sears also has 'em for around $24, could probably pickup at the store with only a small shipping charge. 1st time I changed the belts, I was a bit intimitated, but only took about 30 minutes. Job actually goes easy. Like Al said, I trimmed my rolled over side & flipped the belts for a good edge at the near side, but mine had not torn yet. A technique to keep in mind when carving a board less than 7" wide, place another board, exact same thickness, about 2" wide, at far side of bed for even pressure on the belts & compression rollers.
Regards, Joe

shannonsdad
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
OK, thanks. Anyone wanna buy mine... gonna buy a Rockler Shark. Not happy with this at all.

TerryT
09-24-2010, 07:32 PM
Where ya at and how much? Also come back and let us know how the shark works.

shannonsdad
09-24-2010, 10:25 PM
Oswego, IL What do you want to buy it at?

Terry L

CarverJerry
09-25-2010, 08:05 AM
HOw many hours on the cut motor? And how old is it?

CJ

shannonsdad
09-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Hours, I don't know... is there a way to find out? I've had it about 3 years.

shannonsdad
09-25-2010, 11:24 AM
If anyone is interested email me at shannonsdad@sbcglobal.net.