PDA

View Full Version : Motor Problems

danno79
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Hello all - new to the forum. I have a machine that has always been pretty good to me until yesterday. I was cutting out a guitar shape from 3/8" sintra (composite plastic for signs) and everything was going great. In fact I had already cut one earlier in the day. After about 10 minutes into the cut I walked away and hear some strange noises coming from the shop. I went in and the bit was spinning but it stopped in place. I then proceeded to push the stop button and the z truck pulled up the chuck and started to come back to the zero position. But when it got to the zero it didn't turn off the motor. In fact it started going on and of and sputtering like. The stop abort button did nothing. I had to manually power down with the rocker switch. I did get the CHECK AC MOTOR error earlier but after pushing enter it went back to normal. I wanted to see if anyone had this trouble before I tore the machine apart to begin troubleshooting. Thanks

Dan

Digitalwoodshop
09-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Dan,

I had that..... Under the machine look for the C1 Capacitor, one leg is broken.... If you open and close the clear cover a few times, with that condition the cut motor can start by itself.... NOT SAFE.... The Q1 Transistor is the on off swith for the Cut Motor. It is on the X Termination Board.

Not sure about the project not carving....... With that symptom it could be a Corrupted Memory Card or a Bad computer.....

AL

danno79
09-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Thanks Al - I will have a look tonight and see if that's the issue.

danno79
10-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Well checked that and everything is soldered and secured to the board correctly. Not sure what to do now...

Digitalwoodshop
10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
After reading this again.... I wonder if by cutting plastic you built up a static charge on the machine and it locked up the computer.....

I would run a ground wire from a out feed tray to a appropriate electrical ground. Not a new ground rod... A new Ground Rod will make a Ground Loop.... Ground the machine to a outlet like I do through my dust collector.

AL

danno79
10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
That make so much sense! I have never had any issues until trying to cut the third sheet of this sintra. I will try that and see what happens. I need to do a good deep cleaning today so I will add that to my task list. You rock AL.

danno79
01-10-2011, 11:23 AM
After reading this again.... I wonder if by cutting plastic you built up a static charge on the machine and it locked up the computer.....

I would run a ground wire from a out feed tray to a appropriate electrical ground. Not a new ground rod... A new Ground Rod will make a Ground Loop.... Ground the machine to a outlet like I do through my dust collector.

AL

Al - I am just now getting back to this. Can you show me how you grounded your dust collector?

Digitalwoodshop
01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
I have a 10 foot piece of insulated flex copper 12 ga wire. On each end are 3 gator clips a foot apart. I clip it on 3 places on the dust collector and 3 places on the machine... In my case on a infeed tray, the copper collector and the metal cart that the machine sits on.

I believe that the whole CW Machine is building up a positive static electric voltage to the point that the frame of the machine is more POSITIVE in voltage than normal. Normally the machine uses the frame of the machine as the return or ground much like a car frame.

With the frame having a positive potential in reference to ground it won't let some logic circuits communicate with the computer... Hence a machine that will not shut off.... Or does strange things.....

GROUND the Frame and I bet that is the end of the problems.... PLASTIC or similar material is known for making static.

AL