PDA

View Full Version : Where to start!

MarcTStanley
09-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Gentlemen,

About a year ago I am sure I asked these same question and many of you passed along great advice. However, life got in the way and I was unable to purchase a CarveWright machine at the time, mainly deployments and a quick battle with a brain tumor.
Anyway, it now looks like I can finally make the purchase but I have a few questions before I do so.
1. I see that there is a new version of the machine, version C, what is the difference between buying the version C from the company and buying a refurbished one on eBay?
2. This kind of goes along with question one, but if I went with the eBay option, it comes with the bit set and the probe, it would seem like it is a good deal, and a little cheaper.
3. I remember something about getting rocker bit mounts or something like that, I guess really what I am looking for is advice on what I need to get things moving!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

V/R,
Marc

WRW
09-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Hi Marc

I am not sure of all the changes in the new C model but one of the big changes has been to the CarveTight Chuck replacing the Old QC that many as well as myself changed out for the Rock from Ron Justice. Although I am no pro on chucks the Carvetight seems comparable to Ron's. If you just check out Ron's posts you will find lots of info. Personally pretty much every little problem I was having disappeared when I changed from the QC to the Rock. The machine is also quiter when running the Rock. Having both machines sitting side by side now in my shop I would say the carvetight chuck offers the same reduction in noise. As I have only had the new C machine for a few weeks and continue to have problems with it I can not give you a complete run down on its performance. After I work through the issues I am currently facing I will be better prepared to compare the two functionally. I think you will find that even though you may get the probe off ebay you will still have to buy the software again as I believe it is non transferable. As for the other changes in the carver, Outwardly I do not see much change, they must be mainly structurally to control vibration stress and mechanically to improve performance. I sure there are others more knowledgeable then me on this and they will jump in to help you out.

Welcome Back and I hope you will grow to enjoy your carver (No matter which way you go) as much as I enjoy mine.
PS if you do buy used seriously consider the Rock.

lynnfrwd
09-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry to hear you went with the eBay model. That is not a version C and there are several improvements SEE THEM HERE (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwcimprovements.htm). Also, with a used machine, you don't know what shape it is in or how well it has been cared for. To upgrade to the CarveTight Spindle, Heavy Duty Traction Belts, bits and accessories will probably cost you as much as you saved and you will still have an older version machine.

Sorry, I misread. I didn't see the "IF I went with" part. Good. You can get a new version C from Amazon, Lowes, Woodcraft...or direct from CarveWright. It doesn't matter, but I would make sure and get the new Version C. Check out the BUILD YOUR OWN (http://store.carvewright.com/configuretemplate.htm) feature to see cost and configuration options. Not all options are available from other dealers.

If you went with a refurb, you have a choice of the Rock or the CarveTight upgrade for the spindle, either one. All new machines come with the CarveTight, so there would be no need to change to a Rock.

That's my 2¢, but I work for the company, so I will let REAL customers chime in...

AskBud
09-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear you went with the eBay model. That is not a version C and there are several improvements SEE THEM HERE (http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/cwcimprovements.htm). Also, with a used machine, you don't know what shape it is in or how well it has been cared for. To upgrade to the CarveTight Spindle, Heavy Duty Traction Belts, bits and accessories will probably cost you as much as you saved and you will still have an older version machine.

Sorry, I misread. I didn't see the "IF I went with" part. Good. You can get a new version C from Amazon, Lowes, Woodcraft...or direct from CarveWright. It doesn't matter, but I would make sure and get the new Version C. Check out the BUILD YOUR OWN (http://store.carvewright.com/configuretemplate.htm) feature to see cost and configuration options. Not all options are available from other dealers.

If you went with a refurb, you have a choice of the Rock or the CarveTight upgrade for the spindle, either one. All new machines come with the CarveTight, so there would be no need to change to a Rock.

That's my 2¢, but I work for the company, so I will let REAL customers chime in...
As Stated , above, the "C" version is the way to go. get e new machine.
The Probe comes with software that is good for the 1st user. The 2nd owner would only get the probe, and would need to purchase the Editor software themselves. Centerline is an added $100.00, which is a good investment.
AskBud

TerryT
09-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree, go for the "C". You would probably have to change out the chuck on a refurb for the rock or CT. Personally, I think that the carvetight would be the way to go if only because no other chucks will fit the new machines in the future.

MarcTStanley
09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks Everyone for the input, I will more than likely go with the C version from the factory! More questions to come I am sure!