PDA

View Full Version : How to cut out letters?

stoltz
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
I have searched, but no luck. I looked for Lettering, cut out letters etc.
I am sure it is something I am overlooking. I am fairly new to the machine.
I would like to cut out letters...like the ones you would hang on a wall.
Can anyone suggest how to do this? Maybe some instructions?? Or, direct me to a link if it is already done. I just couldn't find it.

Thanks,
scott

AskBud
09-22-2010, 11:59 AM
I have searched, but no luck. I looked for Lettering, cut out letters etc.
I am sure it is something I am overlooking. I am fairly new to the machine.
I would like to cut out letters...like the ones you would hang on a wall.
Can anyone suggest how to do this? Maybe some instructions?? Or, direct me to a link if it is already done. I just couldn't find it.

Thanks,
scott
Drop down to my signature, below, and click on the "Download" section.
There, you will find a Zipped AVI lesson on "Text Cut Outs".
It may give you the help you seek.
AskBud

stoltz
09-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Bud,
I don't have the same options when using the cut out tool. I can only flip, hide or accept.
In yours, you can set tabs, depth etc. Am I missing something?
Thanks

stoltz
09-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Bud,
I don't have the same options in my cut out tool. I can only flip, hide or accept. I can't set the tabs, spacing, height, or anything else that I see in your cut-out control.
What am I missing?
Thanks,
Scott

cnsranch
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Stoltz - Try this

pic 1 - enter text on Designer's board
pic 2 - highlight text, select "outline patterns"
pic 3 - delete the text, not the outlines
pic 4 - select all outlines, then "cut path" - Flip the cut path, enter the number of passes you want to take per cut, tabs will automatically be placed.
pic 5 - there you go

AskBud
09-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Bud,
I don't have the same options when using the cut out tool. I can only flip, hide or accept.
In yours, you can set tabs, depth etc. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Re-watch the video! Drink it in "slowly".
The first two minutes show that manual tabs will not work on this situation.
Beginning at 2:40, I show where I build a carve region, using a circle, to connect each piece of the "R" in order to make it one full character.
At 3:30, I begin showing the "Outline" and "Cut-out" process (I'm using 1.153 to make this lesson). It's possible that lower versions may not have the same cut-out options as 1.153.
AskBud

Kenm810
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Jerry,

I forgot all about carving stuff like that!
But I did remember how to use the process you mentioned,
to joint the text together for making standing Desk Name Cravings and Display Signs

stoltz
11-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Not sure if this should go here because it happens with all my cutouts, but.....
When I use the 1/8 cutout bit to cutout anything it doesn't give a clean cut. I have tried to set the depth so it makes 2-3 passes for a 3/4"thick board and still the same results.....I could cut these out cleaner with my scroll saw.
The edges are so rough on all of my cutouts that I am spending more time with files and sand paper than I would if I were to cut out by hand.
Does everyone else have to do this much "cleaning up" after a cutout?
Is there something wrong with my machine?
A friend has a larger cnc. He cut out some letters for me. I might have to hit them with 220 sandpaper at the most. They are very clean cuts.
We used 3/4" pine on both machines.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

AskBud
11-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Not sure if this should go here because it happens with all my cutouts, but.....
When I use the 1/8 cutout bit to cutout anything it doesn't give a clean cut. I have tried to set the depth so it makes 2-3 passes for a 3/4"thick board and still the same results.....I could cut these out cleaner with my scroll saw.
The edges are so rough on all of my cutouts that I am spending more time with files and sand paper than I would if I were to cut out by hand.
Does everyone else have to do this much "cleaning up" after a cutout?
Is there something wrong with my machine?
A friend has a larger cnc. He cut out some letters for me. I might have to hit them with 220 sandpaper at the most. They are very clean cuts.
We used 3/4" pine on both machines.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
First, attach your MPC.
Second, draw a square and cut it out. See if it is smooth. If not, check the bit mounting. It would also be good to know what chuck you are using!
AskBud

stoltz
11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Square is rough when cut out.
I attached the letters.
I have the qc chuck. The bits wobble in the chuck. I have cleaned it well.
Carvetight was ordered last week. I hope this solves the problem.

thanks,
Scott

AskBud
11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Square is rough when cut out.
I attached the letters.
I have the qc chuck. The bits wobble in the chuck. I have cleaned it well.
Carvetight was ordered last week. I hope this solves the problem.

thanks,
Scott

How about them apples! You solved your problem!
AskBud