PDA

View Full Version : A little Help Please

chebytrk
09-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Gents... hope someone can help me on this please. I'm attaching a .mpc of a soccer ball that I'd like to carve, but want to give it a "domed" or outward curved appearance so that it looks more 3D. I've received a few hints, but I still don't quite understand how to do it. I read a thread to where I should place a ball.ptn (that is in the gallery) behind it, but it still doesn't look right and still appears flat. I'm sure it's me not knowing what to do so I ask for your help and maybe how it was done (so I won't bother anyone with this again). Thanks for any help you may offer..JerryB

gwhiz
09-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Like this? I downloaded the 'ball.ptn' pattern from the gallery, added it to your MPC, then changed the depth and height of the carves....

bjbethke
09-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Gents... hope someone can help me on this please. I'm attaching a .mpc of a soccer ball that I'd like to carve, but want to give it a "domed" or outward curved appearance so that it looks more 3D. I've received a few hints, but I still don't quite understand how to do it. I read a thread to where I should place a ball.ptn (that is in the gallery) behind it, but it still doesn't look right and still appears flat. I'm sure it's me not knowing what to do so I ask for your help and maybe how it was done (so I won't bother anyone with this again). Thanks for any help you may offer..JerryB

You need to make a grayscale pattern into a Dome, There are lots of Photo Programs that will do that.
I like to use a program called, Gradient Designer, it has been posted on the forum several times since 2008. If you can’t find it - PM me your e-mail, I can send it to you. To use it all you need to do is draw a smooth curve and set the function to Radial. See image below. I found this program give the smoothest dome or dish. Use a high DPI setting.

When you make your MPC use the additive function on the dome, then adjust the depth and height to give the best pattern.