PDA

View Full Version : NuBe with questions

dreams
09-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I am considering buying the new CW version C. I am a guitar builder & I have talked with luquidguitars.com a while back, who was very helpful, but I still have a few questions.

The places where I am still not sure are:

*Should I go the distance & get the Rock Chuck -or- stay with the CarveTight.

*Should I get the Traction Belts?

*What else should I be considering?

I know I will get the probe & one of the software importers and would need an 1/8" bit collet for a .023 but to route the fret slots on the fretboard, this is obviously a "need the machine to be very accurate when cutting these" process.

I will mainly be using the CW to route guitar necks and fret boards, and making routing templates for the bodies. I would use the probe to scan the bodies I make as well & the the CW route the bodies.

My budget is 3k so I will be able to go all out, I just want to get your experienced opinions before I buy anything. So, what would you guys do today, after having a lot of experience with the CW & Rock etc., if you were to start new and buy a CW today, what would you get & why?

Thanks,
Dreams

AskBud
09-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Hi,

I am considering buying the new CW version C. I am a guitar builder & I have talked with luquidguitars.com a while back, who was very helpful, but I still have a few questions.

The places where I am still not sure are:

*Should I go the distance & get the Rock Chuck -or- stay with the CarveTight.

*Should I get the Traction Belts?

*What else should I be considering?

I know I will get the probe & one of the software importers and would need an 1/8" bit collet for a .023 but to route the fret slots on the fretboard, this is obviously a "need the machine to be very accurate when cutting these" process.

I will mainly be using the CW to route guitar necks and fret boards, and making routing templates for the bodies. I would use the probe to scan the bodies I make as well & the the CW route the bodies.

My budget is 3k so I will be able to go all out, I just want to get your experienced opinions before I buy anything. So, what would you guys do today, after having a lot of experience with the CW & Rock etc., if you were to start new and buy a CW today, what would you get & why?

Thanks,
Dreams
Point #1:
The CW-"C" has the new carvetight chuck as a standard. No need for and replacement.

Point #2:
I suggest a top mounted Vacuum Head and a good Dust collector (600 CFM or better).
AskBud

dreams
09-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Thank you AskBud...with the Rock vs. CarveTight- I was wondering if there would be any advantages if I replaced the stock Carve Tight with the Rock?

dreams
09-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Ah...I just realized...I meant to say- switching out the QC with the Rock. Still learning here...

I do have my eye on this for the dust collector: http://www.youtube.com/user/GWizPro#p/u/0/KhfM0jBekww

Digitalwoodshop
09-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank you AskBud...with the Rock vs. Carve Tight- I was wondering if there would be any advantages if I replaced the stock Carve Tight with the Rock?

The Carve Tite is a 1/2 inch system and any 1/4 inch bits need a pressed on adapter from LHR or a sleeve.

And there is NO Going Back from a CarveTite to a Rock... The CT is one solid shaft from Flex to bottom.

A QC can be changed to a Rock.....

The Collector is similar to the one I am using that I made in 2007 but with a bottom and a slot to hang on the machine.

Good Luck,

AL

jaroot
09-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Actually only the solid carbide bits need the pressed on adapters. I have used several of the 1/4" shank bits with the slotted adapter with excellent results.

The Carve Tite is a 1/2 inch system and any 1/4 inch bits need a pressed on adapter from LHR or a sleeve.

And there is NO Going Back from a CarveTite to a Rock... The CT is one solid shaft from Flex to bottom.

A QC can be changed to a Rock.....

The Collector is similar to the one I am using that I made in 2007 but with a bottom and a slot to hang on the machine.

Good Luck,

AL

dreams
09-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Thanks so far, I have some more questions though:

Are the traction belts worth it?

Can I use 1/8" bits with the CT?

If I were to buy a used CC or CW, what should I look for, what should I avoid?

Thanks again!

Capt Bruce
09-21-2010, 10:17 AM

Good Luck,

AL

Thanks for pointing that out about the CarveTite equipped systems. Did not know a Rock could not be installed. This will definitely steer my future plan for a 2nd machine.

I really like your DC head design for taking the DC tubing off below the back side away from the Control Panel. I'll have to see if I can adapt my Ring Neck Blues DC head to the same route and get the hose out of the way on the top center. Imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, consider yourself complimented Sir.

Corvus Instruments
12-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Can I use 1/8" bits with the CT?

I'm also searching for an answer to this question - is there any way to use 1/8" bits with my CarveWright?

I'm trying to cut guitar fret slots and the only bits I can find have an 1/8" shank.

bergerud
12-12-2011, 10:34 PM
There may be a 1/8" to 1/2" adapter for the Rock which may work in the carvetight. Check out the Rock chuck site. Maybe someone with the Rock will answer.

dbfletcher
12-13-2011, 06:01 AM
There is a 1/8 to 1/2 rock adapter, but I have never tried it with a CT.

http://www.cw-parts.com/page2.html

Corvus Instruments
12-13-2011, 11:57 AM
My impression from extensive forum reading here is that the 1/8" Rock adaptor will not work with the CarveTight.

If anyone can confirm or deny this that would be great :)

bjbethke
12-13-2011, 05:13 PM
My impression from extensive forum reading here is that the 1/8" Rock adaptor will not work with the CarveTight.

If anyone can confirm or deny this that would be great :)

I use the Rock and CarveTight on my CW units The Rock adaptor works great for me with the CT, It needs to be installed the right way.

Corvus Instruments
12-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Do you use the Rock 1/8" to 1/2" adaptor, or the 1/8" to 1/4" one?

bjbethke
12-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Do you use the Rock 1/8" to 1/2" adaptor, or the 1/8" to 1/4" one?

I use the 1/2 inch adaptors.

Corvus Instruments
12-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Ok great. Thanks a lot for your help :)

northey87
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I use the Rock and CarveTight on my CW units The Rock adaptor works great for me with the CT, It needs to be installed the right way.

What do you mean by the right way? I have both the 1/8 to 1/2 and 1/4 to 1/2 rock bit adaptors, and I have been having some trouble with my 60d bit slipping while using the 1/4 adaptor, but its only that one bit all the others stay put. Insight please?

bjbethke
12-14-2011, 10:37 AM
What do you mean by the right way? I have both the 1/8 to 1/2 and 1/4 to 1/2 rock bit adaptors, and I have been having some trouble with my 60d bit slipping while using the 1/4 adaptor, but its only that one bit all the others stay put. Insight please?

The cap screw pushes a cam that compresses the adapter, make sure the cam is set so it compress and is not set on the split on the adapter.