PDA

View Full Version : Font carving depth

shannonsdad
09-18-2010, 11:40 PM
When I carve letters, the depth of the letters goes up and down... in other words the depth is not uniform. How can I fix that?

lhanner
09-19-2010, 04:14 AM
What methold are you using ? Raster, Outline, or Center Line text.

AskBud
09-19-2010, 05:21 AM
When I carve letters, the depth of the letters goes up and down... in other words the depth is not uniform. How can I fix that?
Thing to remember about Fonts.
Each Font is emulating a writing style. Just as you use a pen, pencil, or any other implement to write, the text will vary in depth and width by the pressure you place on the implement.

As you select your Font, look at the lightness/darkness/width of the sample Font for a hint as to how the text will look.
Fonts that appear more uniform tend to be the ones that will have less variation while carving.

Once selected, and on your design, you may view the text from several aspects to determine the depth at several points within any character. With your pointer on a specific point of the item involved (anything in the design, not just text) look at the lower Left corner of your design window. You will see the placement of the pointer (Horizontal and Vertical) and the actual depth of carve at that specific point in the carve.
AskBud

shannonsdad
09-19-2010, 10:17 AM
I don't know about the method. How do you select Raster, Outline, or Center Line text

AskBud
09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't know about the method. How do you select Raster, Outline, or Center Line text
Drop down to my signature, below, and click on the "Download" section.
There you will find a lesson on "TEXT TOOL". See if that gets you started. You choice of Raster, Outline, or Centerline will depend upon what you want to accomplish at the time.

Send me a "Private Message" and I will call you when I return from lunch (It is now noon, my time and I should be back in a couple of hours.
AskBud

shannonsdad
09-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Actually it was a couple things, I think. I changed the bit optimization to "none", and I also found that the Z-motor was loose in it's mounts. The smaller drive gear was slipping out of the larger belt gear. Seems to be OK now.
Thanks for your help!