PDA

View Full Version : Schnoz Box Tissue Cozy - Project of the Month

mtylerfl
09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Hello,

Here is a preview of the next Project of the Month, the Schnoz Box (for Oct. 2010). This is to provide a few details beforehand so subscribers will have time to "gather" the materials, etc. if they want to do this project.

The Schnoz Box is a rustic, whimsical enclosure for “cube” tissue boxes. A very large schnoz is positioned above the tissue dispenser opening that will make a truly long-lasting impression on those who see it!

The project requires no special bits and all components are carved and cut out with just the two standard bits that came with your machine.

The finished dimensions of the assembled Schnoz Box are about
5½" wide x 9" deep (including the “schnoz”!) x 7¼" tall.

Main items you will need:

1) The Project Files (included):
• 3D_Nose.mpc
• Front_and_Top.mpc
• Sides_and_Back.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
3D_Nose: .75" x 6" x 16"
Front_and_Top: .75" x 7" x 21"
Sides_and_Back: .75" x 7" x 29"

(NOTE: Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above, or if you are using a sled, you can subtract 7" from the length of the board and have the sled provide the extra 7" required)

3) Sandpaper, clamps, wood glue, wood stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Here’s what I used on my Schnoz Box I made from Select Pine wood:

• Minwax Golden Pecan #245 stain
• three coats Bullseye Clear Shellac spray (to seal)
• Minwax English Chestnut #233 stain overall, then wiped off to yield a more rustic appearance and add more contrast around the lettering
• three coats Minwax water-based Satin polycrylic, sanding between coats with very fine sandpaper

pkunk
09-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Bravo!!! I love it!

Old Salt
09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I love your sense of humor

Capt Bruce
09-14-2010, 09:24 PM
When I set this up I'm going to have to make three or four for all the boxes around the house. Masterful design. Going to be fun.

chebytrk
09-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Very Cool..... will make EXCELLENT Xmas gifts! Thanks.....

earlyrider
09-14-2010, 11:07 PM
That'snot what I was expectorating for an October suprise! Could be customized to be a Bob Hope or Carl Mauldin style, or whatever fits your hand. If big noses run in your family, then this is the one to pick! (Yes, I know the punnishment is too much to bare.)
anonymjos

lhanner
09-14-2010, 11:19 PM
You are assume dude.

James RS
09-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Cool, but please don't do one for toilet paper lol

mtylerfl
09-15-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks, everyone! I hope you'll have fun with this one!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cool, but please don't do one for toilet paper lol

Uh oh, James. Now you got me thinking....

rcdages
09-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Michael,

What can one say?

You just keep pulling a rabbit out of the hat. I am so glad that I am now a member of the POM.

Love the NOSE.

This is a great project for Christmas gifts. I am thinking I might do one for the office here at work then have a free drawing for it.

Great job once again.

mtylerfl
09-15-2010, 08:29 PM
Robert, thank you. That's a great/fun idea for the folks in the office!

earlyrider
09-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Michael, it would be "moon floss" in that context.
Ron

Smoken D
09-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Will be a great give-a-way! Can't wait for this one. Of course still finishing up the book end's.

liquidguitars
09-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Very British 60's avant garde...

chebytrk
12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Hey Michael, do you recall the fonts that you used for the Schnoz box? I'm going to give it a try and see how I can add a ball tip on the nose and make it a "Clown Schnoz Box". I'll post it as soon as I get it finished.

mtylerfl
12-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Hey Michael, do you recall the fonts that you used for the Schnoz box? I'm going to give it a try and see how I can add a ball tip on the nose and make it a "Clown Schnoz Box". I'll post it as soon as I get it finished.

Hi Jerry,

I apparently did not save the original font info anywhere. I used CorelDRAW to layout the fonts and then just converted them to outlines (EPS) for import into Aspire for "puffing". I did not have (or save) the Corel file where I was doing the conversions from...it was just a "scratch pad at the time. Sorry 'bout that!

chebytrk
12-04-2013, 11:36 PM
No worries Michael. Well... here's my first Clown "Schnoz Box". Hope I did your original some "funny" justice! LOL Thanks again for making the POM amigo!

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 05:52 AM
was wondering to make a hard job easy why not buy a wood ball for the nose and hollow it out to fit it?

mtylerfl
12-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Wow, Jerry - You are FAST! I like your customization of the project!

aokweld - that's another good idea about the wooden ball for a future version!

chief2007
12-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Great Job Jerry - love the color.

chebytrk
12-05-2013, 08:02 AM
Yup.... that's exactly what I'm going to do now. I'll find one (can't seem to find one at HD) maybe at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Maybe get a drill to hollow out a little. I'll post a "modification" update. Thanks for the idea.

was wondering to make a hard job easy why not buy a wood ball for the nose and hollow it out to fit it?

bergerud
12-05-2013, 09:15 AM
Can you not carve the ball nose? Invert the nose pattern and get the machine to hollow it out so it just fits. Interesting double sided carve project in itself. (Maybe just dumb since I guess you could just cut off the nose.)

aokweld101
12-05-2013, 09:32 AM
I seen wooded round 3/4 ball drawer pulls at Lowe's I didn't look to see If they had anything bigger that would look great if they come in 1" balls and they are flat on one side to be seated against the drawer and have a hole started for the screw. I think they was only $2.00 for two of em.

chebytrk
12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Great. Never thought of looking in that area! duh ??? ;)

I seen wooded round 3/4 ball drawer pulls at Lowe's I didn't look to see If they had anything bigger that would look great if they come in 1" balls and they are flat on one side to be seated against the drawer and have a hole started for the screw. I think they was only $2.00 for two of em.

SharonB
12-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Jerry... I sure like your altered Schnoz Box. It is so much "you."

chebytrk
12-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yup Sharon... all this must be my "funny" side. LOL I hope that I can figure out how to make a picture frame with clowns all around it. I think that will be my next "to learn and do".