PDA

View Full Version : Check Cut Motor

ChrisR
09-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Greetings, Gurus of the CarveWright. As I was running a project, the cut motor began running erratically at crazy fast and slow speeds. Then it stopped. The pad displayed the message, "Check Cut Motor, Press Enter to Continue." I checked, there was a motor, so I pressed enter. The machine did not run smoothly, but it finished the project. I tried loading a new project. The machine continued to operate poorly, so I checked some readings and shut it down. After reading some posts here, I think that the cut motor sensor is functioning correctly. (At first I thought the sensor was out of order, but I was trying to make it register at the spindle instead of at the motor. I'm sure glad you are out there!)

What would make my machine run so erratically? I thought about brushes, but only have 76 hours on the motor.

Thanks!

Digitalwoodshop
09-13-2010, 10:07 PM
If you have some V60 or V90 text then sometimes you get a speed change and CCM fault in the first 30 seconds... Press enter and it finishes and your good... This is normal..... A Quirk in the machine....

If you are getting a bunch of speed changes it could be a problem with the brushes, X Termination Board or a loose wire.

AL

ChrisR
09-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Thanks AL. My cut motor speed changes very frequently. Do you know where can I find info to help me diagnose wires, boards, and brushes?

Digitalwoodshop
09-14-2010, 09:51 PM
The machine WILL change the speed of the motor for different cutting. It is normal.

As for learning more about the Cut Motor just enter "Cut Motor" in the search with the " " and you will find hours of reading enjoyment......

Good Luck,

AL

ChrisR
09-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Thank you again, AL. I know that the motor will change speeds, but not like this. There is nothing normal about it. I have completed literally hundreds of small projects and am comfortable with the behavior and range of speeds on the machine. The fluctuations I have now sound more like a mischievous child playing with a power switch. I'll do the search and see if there is something else.

Thanks again.

Digitalwoodshop
09-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Loose wire in a crimp connector....

Brush hanging up due to dust.

I would open the motor and blow it all out....

Could be the tether wire is broken on the brushes....

AL

ChrisR
09-16-2010, 11:05 AM
AL, you are the man! Thanks again for your response. When I have needed to make repairs to my machine in the past, CW support has been very prompt in providing some instructions and illustrations to help me disassemble, inspect, and identify problems, and then handle replacement, installation, and adjustment as needed. Their documentation is always excellent. I haven't heard back from them on this issue yet. Do you know where I can locate instructions that help me identify relevant wiring connections or pull the cut motor? I have not had to do this before and don't have those documents (yet...!).

unitedcases
09-16-2010, 07:42 PM
RPM Sensor???

lynnfrwd
09-16-2010, 09:59 PM
ChrisR:
Did customer support contact you today?

HelpBot3000
09-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Chris,
It seems like you might have the old magnet retainer in your cut motor. Some of the "A" series machines have a retaining ring around the magnet inside the cut motor that hold the RPM sensor magnet in place. In the older rings, if they are not changed out for the newer one over time, can cause shorts and errors not unlike what you are describing. Give me a call sometime today when you have a little free time and are near the machine and we can discuss it further but I believe this is what you are experiencing.

Barry
Hardware Support