PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to trick the probe into exceeding its height limitation?

rickbull
09-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I am trying to scan an object with the probe. It is a statue of a lions head (from the front)
The problem is that, when it scans down the mouth, the housing of the probe hits and I get a z-axis error. (i.e. if the probe had a longer point on it, it would work just fine.)
I know that this might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how I might trick the probe into working with this...is there any way to lengthen the probe point?

AskBud
09-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I am trying to scan an object with the probe. It is a statue of a lions head (from the front)
The problem is that, when it scans down the mouth, the housing of the probe hits and I get a z-axis error. (i.e. if the probe had a longer point on it, it would work just fine.)
I know that this might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how I might trick the probe into working with this...is there any way to lengthen the probe point?
I would probably stick some sort of filler in his mouth, if I could. The probe needs something to give it resistance.
AskBud

rickbull
09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Actually let me rephrase...it isnt when the probe goes into the mouth...it is as it goes down the side of the muzzle...scanning the rest of the face.
I was wondering if anyone has been able to somehow lengthen the probe to acheive this.

Thank you for this reply and the others...good stuff

AskBud
09-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Actually let me rephrase...it isnt when the probe goes into the mouth...it is as it goes down the side of the muzzle...scanning the rest of the face.
I was wondering if anyone has been able to somehow lengthen the probe to acheive this.

Thank you for this reply and the others...good stuff
There are plastic probe tips, in the CW Store. They may add about 1/4 inch, but you will also loose some of the fine detail as the plastic tip is not as pointed.
AskBud

TIMCOSBY
09-12-2010, 12:54 AM
i've even stacked two of the glue tips on it to get by.

badger
09-12-2010, 06:24 AM
38608Here is what they are talking about.

Depending on the type you can loose a bit of the detail if you do not have a fine point, but too fine a point and it will start to bend causing other problems. Make sure you also do not overdue the way you attach it to your probe by overgluing it.

CarverJerry
09-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I use these same glue tips on my probe, found them for a couple of bucks at Hobby Lobby.

CJ

want2b
09-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Guess my question is, extending the probe is needed for what reason? If the probe can't scan it will the carver be able to carve it??
If the depth is to much for the probe to clear then will it be of use to 'trick it". Very interested in what you are scanning and if the
lengthening helps.
Good luck,
Rick H

AskBud
09-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Guess my question is, extending the probe is needed for what reason? If the probe can't scan it will the carver be able to carve it??
If the depth is to much for the probe to clear then will it be of use to 'trick it". Very interested in what you are scanning and if the
lengthening helps.
Good luck,
Rick H
When you bring the scan into Editor, you may lower/change the depth.
AskBud38609

RMarkey
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
You can cast a mold of the lion's head in some type of plaster, then slice it so you can scan the muzzle separately from the rest of the face, since you will probably want to carve it that way, anyhow.

badger
09-13-2010, 04:17 PM
lengthening helps.
Good luck,
Rick H

The problem isnt so much the probe not being long enough but with the type of item you are probing might get in the way of the body of the probe as it makes its pass. If it bumps the body sometimes it will give on error on the scan and not finish it. The extenders is basically cheating the probe and just getting more length out of it so it can make it over the item you are scanning.

rickbull
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
What type of glue do you use to attach the tip to the probe?

badger
09-18-2010, 10:49 AM
I just use a little dab of hot glue, easy to seperate later without too much force. You dont need much to attach it.

AskBud
12-03-2010, 05:42 AM
I posted this suggestion/request for a longer metal probe tip, on the Wish List Thread, about November of 2010.
AskBud
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?1722-CarveWright-Designer-wishlist&p=141495#post141495