PDA

View Full Version : Keeps indicating to load bit

albertk836
09-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Had a small issue with a project. The unit completed the carving of the wood/MDF and asked for me to load the 1/8 cutting bit. I did, but after about 30 seconds it prompted me to "load 1/8 cutting bit" again. It was already loaded so I pressed the "Enter" button and watched the head. I noticed when it went to the far right (from the front) to touch the bit to the little arm, the arm did not move in the way for the bit to touch.

After some troubleshooting I noticed the entire mechinsim would not move left and right except using a fair amount of force. I loosened the two metric adjustment nuts on the assembly so it would move more freely. That fixed the issue.

The question
Is this adjustments known to move with vibration or is there a bering problem and the fix I made temp fix? I blew and vacuumed the area as well as I could.

Albert

unitedcases
09-10-2010, 04:29 AM
The "bit plate" probably needs some lube, stop at a hobby shop and grab some chain wax. Also when the bit goes to the right to do its bit check you can assist the bit plate, the only reason it comes out is to check the bit depth.

Digitalwoodshop
09-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I agree.... It is a Bit Plate problem.... When the machine goes to the bit plate and it extends then bit slowly lowers to the bit plate and touches it... This tells the machine how long the bit is.... If the head does not get close enough to the bit plate to extend it out, then the bit misses and the tip of the bit goes down past where the bit plate is located. This tells the computer that there must not be a bit in the chuck as I "MUST" be close enough to the bit plate. The machine has no feedback that it is NOT far enough over to the bit plate..... to extend it....

SO the question is....?

What can cause the bit plate to NOT Extend..... The topic of a least a hundred posts in 3 years......

#1 reason in the past has always been.... Dust or lack of lubrication of the bit plate... Hence the tip above to lubricate the bit plate....

#2 reason is that the wires from the right side cut motor cover safety switch are bumping into the fins of the Z Motor when the Y is pushed all the way to the bit plate. There is a sweet spot in the corner that the wires fit in and it makes a big difference. Every time you remove the cover you must inspect the cable when done and tuck it back into the corner. This was MORE of a problem when we had the OLD Z Motors with the longer cooling fins....

Or you can do like I and many others do.... Place a block of foam behind the bit flag letting it stick out all the time.... It is only in the path if you do a 14.5 inch wide board and the sparks will fly.....

Good Luck...

AL

mtylerfl
09-10-2010, 09:26 AM
After some troubleshooting I noticed the entire mechinsim would not move left and right except using a fair amount of force. I loosened the two metric adjustment nuts on the assembly so it would move more freely. That fixed the issue.

Albert

Were you saying the Y-truck was not moving freely over to the bit plate? (..."the entire mechinsim would not move left and right except using a fair amount of force.")

albertk836
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
Yes, the Y-truck would not move freely. Loosing it a little allowed it to move easier. I will get some lube as recommended.

Thanks!
Albert

cnsranch
09-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Remember that the Y truck does give some resistance when the machine is turned on - if it is giving you resistance when the machine's off, there could be other issues.

chebytrk
09-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Just keep in mind that if the truck will not budge (machine off or on), then it's an issue. I had to turn mine in once to get it fixed for that.