PDA

View Full Version : Corian or Acrylic? Post your source and a pic if you have a project completed

lostinthefrost
09-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Hello all,
I am researching different options.
1. can you post a pic of your project in corian or acrylic
2. a good source ($) to purchase material
3. why you chose that over the other

All responses are welcome. I am sure it can not only help me but others who are out there lurking wanted to know the difference and preferences.

JLT
09-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Here's a pair of lithophanes I created a few weeks back of my parent's wedding when Eisenhower was president. The one on the left was a trial run using a Lowe's cutting board that cost about a Hamilton, and the one on the right was the finished product using 12"x18" bone white corian acquired from LHR for about a Grant (with shipping) a while back.

As you can see, the corian has excellent tone, good detail, and minimal y-axis lines. With the Lowes cutting board (which is obviously not an approved material, in addition to being on the cusp of melting during cuts), I believe the waste would get into the z-axis belt, and cause a slight change in depth of cut, thereby leaving y-direction striations. The corian did not appear to have this problem. In both cases, I did not have dust collection...

lostinthefrost
09-09-2010, 07:35 PM
that corian is awesome. Very impressed.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-09-2010, 07:48 PM
After many weeks and many different products ... I can only recommend a Corian type product. I use a cast acrylic by Meganite and I purchase it by the sheet. A sheet measures 36x96 inches and costs me about 300 dollars.

view lithopane photos here http://cutscarvesandcolors.ning.com/photo/albums/lithopanes-1

cnsranch
09-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Jason's got it - CAST acrylic - I use Corian, but that's a registered name, like Kleenex is to tissue.

lostinthefrost
09-10-2010, 10:59 AM
awesome thanks. I ordered some off ebay to test to keeps costs down. Does anyone recommend where to get the "corian" reasonably cheap?

cnsranch
09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Start here, Joshua -

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?6582-Cant-Find-1-4-corian&highlight=corian

My Daughter-In-Law's Dad owns a company here in KC that wholesales Corian to builders in a four state area, and I can't get any kind of deal from him.

They're pretty proud of their product.

You can often find Corian on EBay, and I've found some on Craigslist - just search the word, and go thru all the posts.

lynnfrwd
09-10-2010, 11:03 AM
cnsranch: I love the little litho charm for the lamp!!!!

cnsranch
09-10-2010, 11:04 AM
cnsranch: I love the little litho charm for the lamp!!!!

Thanks - it was a real hit - problem is, he (my Uncle) had 5 kids, so when I presented that one to my Aunt, I HAD to make 5 more.