PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried to cut Urethane.

LittleRedWoodshop
09-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Just wondering before I get started trying to figure it out.

jaroot
09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
I've got some samples of HDU. But I've not had a chance to try it out let. The pieces that they sent are about 8" square so I will need to put them in some kind of sled and I've just not gotten around to it yet.

earlyrider
09-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Yes, I've cut a product called "Butterboard", and it cuts well. the chips are small and light needing a good dust collector. I use a two part casting urethane named something like "Pour A Cast" daily for making reproductions of dinosaur skeletons; I have'nt run any of this through the machine yet, but it tools well with flexshaft (Foredom) burr bits, and air turbine carving tools. It should work just as well as the Butterboard. It does hold up to the point of the scanning probe fairly well.
There's lots of different densities of urethanes, and I think they all should cut well. Be sure to check if there's any filler in the mtl, as some (like glass bead) might tend to dull the bits.
Ron

LittleRedWoodshop
09-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Sounds promising ... I will let you know how it goes.

gwhiz
09-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I carved a small 8x8 piece of HDU--Sign Foam. Carved very well. I used the highest density and I've got a couple lower density pieces that I haven't tried yet.

Kenm810
09-09-2010, 02:01 PM
I've used and Carved several densities of SignFoam, and found the 18 lb.HUD Foam is my favorite.
Lots of really fine dust that loves any kind of static electricity.
But it Carves like a Dream, fine Detail with crisp edges and very little clean-up,
Plus -- Little or No Fuzzys because "There's no Grain direction to worry about"

STEAM
09-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I use "precision board" for all of my exteriour signs. It's similar to sign foam. I have been using 15 lb. I really like it. It is like Ken said " Carves like a Dream, fine Detail with crisp edges and very little clean-up". Just make sure you have good dust collection.

Capt Bruce
09-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Where have you been able to purchase the sign foam boards? Coming up with blank looks when I inquire around here. Thanks

earlyrider
09-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I should have asked whether you wanted to cut signs or rapid prototypes with the urethane. Utah Foam sells large surfboard size X 6in. planks, and thinner of several different densities. For the R.P., the higher densities work well (15 lb and greater) but gets pricy.
Ron

jaroot
09-09-2010, 11:21 PM
I got my samples from a company in Salt Lake. I'm not at home right now so I don't have the info with me. When I get home I'll try to remember to post the info but that will be a few weeks from now.

Kenm810
09-10-2010, 09:05 AM
Capt Bruce,

Here's a post from 2008, with the mfg's site were I ordered my free sample kit,
this should get you started.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?8692-Carving-Art&p=65285#post65285

kool69sporty
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Here's another source for urethane modeling & pattern makers foam: www.freemansupply.com (http://www.freemansupply.com). A just got a sample of 10 different densities, machinable wax & clear pine. Kit cost $25 but refundable against 1st order.
Joe

Capt Bruce
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Many thanks Gents. Looks like I've been driving within a block of a distributor on the way to work each day. Helps to know where to start. Thanks again