PDA

View Full Version : CarveTight spindle or Rock Chuck?

bayea
09-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Is there a difference between the carveTight spindle and Rock Chuck?
if so what are the main differences.
I know they are made by two different people.
I need to upgrade, is one better than the other?

dbfletcher
09-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Is there a difference between the carveTight spindle and Rock Chuck?
if so what are the main differences.
I know they are made by two different people.
I need to upgrade, is one better than the other?

You'll probably get many different opinions one this. Both are far superior to the QC Chuck. On paper the carvetight should have a slight edge over the Rock since it is a one piece spindle design. However, there have never been side by side measuments done and published so it is anyones guess. I still favor the rock as it is the more flexible solution when it comes to bits. With the CT, you need to purchase the 1/8 cutting and 1/16 carving bit from LHR as they require a pressed on sleeve. With the rock, as long as you have the proper split sleeve, you are free to use 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 shaft bits from which ever vendor you choose. Ron, the maker of the Rock chuck, has stated that the rock is nearly perfectly balanced. This translates directly in to a quieter and smoother machine. Early report we saw on the CT said the sound level was lower, but it didnt appear to be nearly as much as most Rock users reported.

Whatever you decide, you should see a dramtic improvement in carve quality. I dont think there is a wrong chioce there. Replace the QC and be happy.

unitedcases
09-06-2010, 04:53 PM
ROCK, nuff said.

AskBud
09-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Doug is correct,in that both are good choices.
The only kicker would be "if you have had any problem with your Z-truck, you would probably be better off getting the Carve Tight as it is within a new Z-truck, and comes with new bearings".
AskBud

gman
09-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I've been gone for a bit so I feel behind on the basic question. I have the complete bit set from Carvewright. Can I use them on either the Rock or the Carvetight? I'd like to update but don't want to lose the ability to use the bits I have.

AskBud
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
CW requires that the 1/16 carving and the 1/8 Cutting bits have a Pressed collar. This is for your, and the machines, protection.
AskBud
See this thread.
http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?15164-New-Carve-Tight-chuck-released...&p=127645#post127645

bayea
09-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I've been gone for a bit so I feel behind on the basic question. I have the complete bit set from Carvewright. Can I use them on either the Rock or the Carvetight? I'd like to update but don't want to lose the ability to use the bits I have.

that was another question i had. if i get the CT will i have to get all new bits? i understand i would have to get new 1/16 & 1/8" bits, but would i have to get the other bits with the correct collet for the CT.

and
with the Rock i could use all my current bits that i have used with the quick-change chuck. correct ??

one thing i believe is that i would get much better customer service from Ron than i would from CW.

AskBud
09-06-2010, 10:24 PM
that was another question i had. if i get the CT will i have to get all new bits? i understand i would have to get new 1/16 & 1/8" bits, but would i have to get the other bits with the correct collet for the CT.

and
with the Rock i could use all my current bits that i have used with the quick-change chuck. correct ??

one thing i believe is that i would get much better customer service from Ron than i would from CW.
You are correct, in that all bits appear to work properly in the Rock Chuck system (with the proper split collet(s)). There is more than one Rock choice.

All bits except for the 1/16 carving and the 1/8 Cutting Bits will work in the CarveTight, as those two have carbide shanks which the CT Assembly can not grip well enough. You do need at least one 1/4 inch split collet for the other 1/4 inch, shank, bits in your collection. The 1/2 shanks fit directly into the CT.
AskBud