PDA

View Full Version : Does the machine have a dust collection system?

carvewright
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
The machine does have a vacuum impeller built-in as well as an external vacuum port that fits 2–1/4” OD hose. The built-in vacuum system maintains airflow through the machine and removes airborne dust that can build up on the sensors. It is not designed to remove all generated chips and dust. Most of the dust generated by the CarveWright remains confined in the machine and will not affect the machine performance. After every project simply vacuum or use compressed air to clear the dust.

dominulus
09-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Here's something everyone should read about the health hazards of fine dust particles, the basics of dust collection systems and pitfalls to avoid when you are designing one: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Ducting.cfm#DuctingIntroduction

Dale in Anaheim
09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
When I plugged my shop vac into the supplied dust collection port it actually semed to load the machine up (sounded like strain on the machine). So I stopped using it and went back to the supplied muffler.

Anyone else experienced this? :confused:

When I build a stand for my machine, I plan on making the table/mounting surface into a downdraft table to help with the dust collection but I have no plans to hook anything up to the supplied port on the mahine until I figure out if what I experienced might damage the machine.

Dale

Kenm810
09-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi Dale,

The supplied dust collection port is reduced in side the top of the machine to about 1", your Vac was starving for air.
Plus most of your wires and circuit boards are there and you could build up quite a static charge right where you really don't want one. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif

Signmaker
09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I get sales booklets from MSC Direct. Plus I have their huge catalog, The Big Book. They have a Delta brand portable dust collector on sale now. Ends 10/8/07.

Reg price $254.37... now $179.00

For wood dust only (how nice). Seems you could easily build it into a cabinet below the carver.

Go see it now. www.mscdirect.com put NT84781111 in the search window.

I need one too. I just ordered a roll-around tool cabinet on sale. Browse around, they have everything. You can ck out McMaster-Carr too. www.McMaster-Carr.com.

or
www.McMaster.com, both work.

Signmaker

metalman32060
10-02-2007, 03:58 AM
For those of us who want to save a little money, this may help

http://copycarver.com/Dust_collector.htm

Jeff_Birt
10-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Be VERY cautious when it comes to dust collectors. I noticed they recommend using a cotton bag or old diaper bag as the filter / catch bag.

I prefer a loose weave material for a dust bag. It may pass a little dust at first but it will quickly seal those tiny air leaks in the fabric with sawdust seconds after you turn it on.

This is really a poor thing to do for your health. All the fine (really dangerous) material will blow right through, into the air, and into your lungs. There is a reason commercial DC systems have large motors, so they can force enough air volume through the filters. You certainly can build your own DC, but please use proper filters. YMMV....

pappajack
10-14-2007, 03:23 PM
We went to the show in vegas and we noticed a lot of dust and chips from the carving that we had them do there as a test before we bought the machine after the test we lifted the machine to see how much there was under it a lot. Before we set up our machine we decided to build a moving cart (bench) for it. I wanted a few other parts to it to help with our projects such as drawers to
hold tools and bits also a copy of the manuals also a slot in the top for my vacuum to pick up a downdraft from the bottom of the machine center slots I will be posting the pictures on the forum as soon as I figure out how if any one wants pictures of my cart email me at pappajacks@yahoo.com and I will be glad to send them out. The vacuum works good on wood but not to good on plastic, dust as it sticks to every thing. pappajack