PDA

View Full Version : Flexshaft stuck in Cut Motor and Z axis stall

Hexe SA
09-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I had a Z Axis stall Error 309 and wanted to try the flip the flexshaft core a round to fix it. I ended up havining to remove the cutmotor because the flexshaft was stuck. Took the motor apart and with the help of some "Mouse Milk" (works better than WD 40, and yes that is the name) managed to pull it out. Cleaned, lubed checked the motor brushes everything was fine. Flipped the shaft reassembled, loaded a board for project. Machine went to homing started to go over to the bitplate and stopped half way again Z axis stall Error 309. Tried pulling out the flexshaft again and it was stuck again. It came loose after a couple of tugs. So I have two problems a flexshaft that gets stuck and a Z axis stall. This is my first machine A version with upgraded z-truck, Rock Chuck, new z-motor (2 month old) cutmotor has 280 hours. Running software version 1.164.
Any suggestions on how to fix both?
Thanks
Eva

Digitalwoodshop
09-05-2010, 06:18 PM
WOW that is an interesting problem.... I am not sure what the Flex Shaft has to do with it... unless the BB holding the flex inside the top hat is worn and the Z Stall is actually the outer sleeve of the flex shaft hitting the underside of the top black cover slot?

AL

mtylerfl
09-06-2010, 07:30 AM
The end(s) of the flex shaft core can "enlarge" a little (or become misshaped) during normal use after a period of time. I was able to gently pound a flex shaft core end back to "square" and it's working fine. However, it is probably better to replace the flex shaft core to be on the safe side.

Eventually the core will wear out (loses its tightness of the winding). Like AL mentioned, I'm not sure if this is directly related to your z-stall issue or not, but it could be. One of the engineers told me once that the core is designed to be able to slide in and out (not completely of course!) between the two 'receptacles' at either end by about 1/2" as I recall, during carve/cutting. If one of the ends is "stationary or stuck", that will restrict the movement. Perhaps that is leading to the z-stall?

Could be other things causing your z-stall (dirty or worn bearings, truck out of adjustment, or simply the outer sheath hitting the top slot like AL said). Let us know how you make out.