PDA

View Full Version : Next project carved rasied panel door

eelamb
09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Some time back I purchased a china cabnet for my wife. It is made of maple with glass doors on top and solid doors on the bottom section. The bottom doors looked good, with a design in them which neither she nor I liked. Upon closer inspection I found the insert was made of plastic. Today I removed the doors, and removed the plastic inserts that are laid in place in a dado, with 1/8 plywood backing. Since the wood is maple and the size is 12x13.75 insert, I glued up some maple for carving. I am attaching the images of the carved inserts I came up with. Remember around the outside is for the raised panel routing once removed from the CW.

mtylerfl
09-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Eddie,

Can't wait to see your photos of the finished product - it's gonna be wonderful!

eelamb
09-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Plans sometimes get placed on a back burner. I hope to get at least one door carved tomorrow. Step daughter lost her baby this morning, and most of the day Holly and I spent it at the hospital with her. She is doing fine just a very emotional day. This would have been her first.

dbfletcher
09-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. Our thougths are with you.

Capt Bruce
09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Oue sympathies are with your step daughter Eddie and your family from your Forum friends.

Bruce kinney

eelamb
09-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

MT forgot to say thank you for your comment on the panel.

eelamb
09-06-2010, 03:41 PM
50 % into the first door carving, it is looking good. maple sure carves nice.

eelamb
09-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Doors are finished and installed. Image below is of the two doors before installation. Now if the kids will move out (again) I may be able to put the china cabinet in its rightful place. We have gone from a house hold of 2, to 4 to 6 now. Boy does my garage shop look good to me now days.

Hexe SA
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
That looks absolutely beautiful. I may have to take mine down, they are plain inside and see if they are carvable.
Eva

Smoken D
09-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Great Job, really looks nice!

eelamb
09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the comments.

BJB was in your neck of the woods this weekend. Spent 3 nights at Mountain View, went to big springs, Monmouth springs, down around Salem, and West Plains, then to a few of the old Mills. Was 12th anniversary, so wife and I took off as we do each year site seeing.