PDA

View Full Version : How long can the machine run?

carvewright
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
The machine can run for long periods of time under normal operating conditions. We have carved projects that have taken six or more hours with no problems. Under heavy loading it is recommended that you periodically let the cutting head cool down.

Jwm931
02-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Can you please update the firmware to stop the machine during long runs? Allowing the head to cool down prior to starting again would be very helpful for us all. I tend to keep my shop cool - 72 - but I could see issues in hot shops.

Jeff_Birt
02-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Press 'Stop' to stop the machine, follow the prompts on the LCD to restart (I think you just press enter).

pkunk
02-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Press 'Stop' to stop the machine, follow the prompts on the LCD to restart (I think you just press enter).
Or, just open the lid. I've run 6 hrs straight in the summer W/O a problem. If you have a project bigger than that, just give it a pause now and then.

Jwm931
02-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Yep & yep, no worries with doing it myself. Just think it would be a nice feature for the future, to have an auto-pause.

revved_up
02-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Yep & yep, no worries with doing it myself. Just think it would be a nice feature for the future, to have an auto-pause.

even better if it had a sensor to tell it that it was getting too hot and needed a break

Ropdoc
02-28-2007, 01:10 PM
What if you have a vaccum in the envelope (working area) that could draw in cold or cool air and remove saw dust at the same time.

I ran my machine for the first time and the test piece ran for only 1 hour and 45 minutes and boy did the saw dust build up. I tried to vaccum as it cut but did not want to get the the way of the cutter.

Dave

CallNeg151
02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Several people have created sawdust removal systems for their units. Some draw sawdust out of the bottom, while some have involved modification of the clear cover. See:
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2334

One possible problem with these systems is the buildup of static, and possible grounding errors created by the connection between the vacuum and the CarveWright.

While sawdust is a limiting factor if it clogs up the sensors, the biggest run time limitation when it comes to cooling is the flex shaft. The shaft itself is subject to create internal friction, and the lubrication that it leaves the factory with at some times has been sub-par. The secret is to feel the shaft periodically. It will be uniformly warm, but should not be hot to the touch. If it does get hot, you will want to follow the lubrication procedures listed in the troubleshooting pdfs forum.

bobi
02-28-2007, 07:16 PM
What if you have a vaccum in the envelope (working area) that could draw in cold or cool air and remove saw dust at the same time.

I ran my machine for the first time and the test piece ran for only 1 hour and 45 minutes and boy did the saw dust build up. I tried to vaccum as it cut but did not want to get the the way of the cutter.

Dave
If you press the stop button while the unit is cutting, it will "pause" the carving process and you can vacuum out the accumulation and then "unpause" it and continue. I will "pause and vacuum" every 30 minutes to an hour depending on cut depth and project width.

RC Woodworks
05-09-2007, 11:42 AM
How long can the machine run? Until you get a check cut motor, then all you need to do is press enter!!!!! LOl sorry I had to make the joke!!!!! :)

Rick

Dan-Woodman
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I have had it do it when one operation gets done , before it went on to the next, and another time about 75% of the way thru the project.
and this is on the updated machine they sent me when my BETA machine died.

RC Woodworks
05-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Mine always stops at the very beginning. But I was just being a wise guy!! That is how long my machine runs. Until I get a check cut motor! (then press enter)

Rick