PDA

View Full Version : "Y" Sprocket

unitedcases
09-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Just throwing this out there to see if anyone has a old gearbox they dont want. I just changed my bearings on my Y motor and my spindle on the gearbox sprocket is a little worn. Of course I realize beggars cant be choosers but it would be nice if it was a old Z motor because those take the least amount of abuse. In other words those should still be really good. I will pay for shipping and I guess I will pay for the motor? It doesnt have to be a good motor, I just need the big gear.

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2010, 11:12 AM
I am tempted to try JB Weld or something like that to add some Girth to the shaft on my worn gears.... Rough up the shaft area and apply the JB Weld and use a drill press and sand paper to reduce the diameter back to the correct size to fit the bearing... Yes it is Hokey.... But if the bearings are good the shaft will never spin inside the inner race....

I am in the same boat... Last Gear Box.... I screwed up when I first saw the worn Y shaft and thought the bearing in the Y was a SLEEVE bearing.... It was dust covered and I just did not investigate it fully... Having slapped in a old Z and was up and running.... I was even recommending adding a drop of oil to the back of the clip and shaft.... I was corrected by one of the members here pointing out the 2 bearings.... Humble Pie.... O' MY..... I stand Corrected..... By then I was on my 2nd Gear Box on the 2nd machine....

So I am always up to learning new things....

AL

unitedcases
09-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I looked at a website called www.rushgears.com (http://www.rushgears.com) They make custom sprockets. I dont have one out of the machine or else I would measure it and give them the specs and see what it would cost to get one. I imagine it may be cheaper to buy a new gear box and then you just have one on standby. I plan on calling LHR and seeing if they can sell the sprocket alone.

earlyrider
09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
You might be able to find a brass tube with the same OD as the unworn shaft on the gear, then turn the nylon down to fit the new brass sleeve. I did this on the carb. of a 1917 Overland (throttle shaft) successfully, why not on this?
Ron