PDA

View Full Version : X Axis Stall

Itsmeagain
09-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I kept getting this error:

X-Axis Stall
Error 293. Press Stop

What causes this error and how do I resolve this?

AskBud
09-03-2010, 06:31 PM
I kept getting this error:

X-Axis Stall
Error 293. Press Stop

What causes this error and how do I resolve this?
Could be that the head is too tight, or the sliding Plate is binding on the wood.
Raise the head to release pressure, or move the sliding plate away from to wood. Sometimes, the top & bottom of the wood are not parallel.
AskBud

unitedcases
09-03-2010, 09:24 PM
When installing your board or a sled, it is a good idea to take two playing cards and use them as a shim. Also try not to drag your board or sled over to the keypad side as to not tear the sandpaper belts and mess up the o-ring on the roller. When speaking of head pressure, I click mine down 5 times and the pressure is good. However I use such a big sled and solid oak that when I load my project I only click it down once, because of the weight. I have never had any problems once I learned that trick. You can tell if your X motor is hurting because it will sound as if it is really straining. Good Luck.

Itsmeagain
09-04-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the response. So the x-axis refers to the head pressure pushing too hard on the board against the sliding plate, correct? I only clicked it down twice.

unitedcases
09-04-2010, 08:19 AM
I dont really know what the error codes mean. I just watch it to see what it is doing. It may have not had enough head pressure. I know too much head pressure will affect your X-axis, eventually causing stripping of X-gears or maybe blowing that motor.

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2010, 11:18 AM
You need to find the source of the error....

The board being tapered in Thickness or Width will act as a door stop and jam the machine...

The Right side Sliding guide should never touch the board. A quarter's width away....

A rolled under belt is the #1 reason why you get a jam. The belt under the muffler creeps over toward the brass roller and rollers under.... I rip a 1/2 inch strip from the belt.

You may already have a broken gear.....

Good Luck,

AL

Itsmeagain
09-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Looks like one gear below is in a bad shape.
What is this gear call? It seems like the more I use this machine, the more I found out about its weakness. Many of the gears in this machine is plastic and it gets broken quite often. Does anyone know where I can find metal gears instead of cheap plastic ones?

unitedcases
09-04-2010, 08:36 PM
The nylon gears will work. You need to replace that gear set and make sure you seal it well. The idea behind nylon gears is they give out before the motor does. A set of gears-12 dollars, a motor-over 100. Just got to find that sweet spot. That looks like it was definitely cranked down too much.

Digitalwoodshop
09-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Yes, that is absolutely right.... The Gears WERE designed to snap rather than burn out the Servo Motor.... OR the $300.00 computer.....

There are 3 sets driver Transistors to drive the Servo Motors. At this point if you Toast one then you need the whole Computer... If anyone has a old broken computer around from before LHR was asking for them back, I would be interested in it..... I want to dissect the Servo section.... I replaced them at Sony... Why not here....

I understand your frustration.... It is easy to find fault in the machine..... Many of us here have taken the time to learn the things you need to know to keep the machine ruining. RUNNING..... O' MY..... -2 Points Spelling

Understanding why the Gear Broke is the first step.... Not the Repair... You can find lots posted about WHY..... The Machine is NOT a VICE.... Cranking it down too tight on the board due to a clutch needing lubrication is a common problem. It will force the sand paper to press to the carrier plate so hard that is is difficult to move. If you live in a place with excess Humidity, the Sawdust acts like Rosin and causes the back of the belt to stick to the plate making the X Motor work too hard....

Use a scale and check the pressure.... Lots posted on that procedure... If the belts are OLD then replace them... The Rosin on the back of the sand paper belt builds up over time... New Belts run SMOOTHER.

Make sure you read Tips and Tricks as it has a bunch of stuff that will help you UNDERSTAND the machine. Prevents a bunch of "Pilot Errors"..... User Errors.....

This problem in my opinion is a result of Pilot Error.... Doing something wrong... A Tapered Board, Right Side Guide touching the board, Cranked down like a VICE, Belt rolled under and you didn't notice on your daily machine inspection......, Sawdust building up between the rollers so bad the machine jammed, too heavy of a board.... The List goes on.... WE have all been there.... We have all LEARNED to USE the Machine....

The Easy part is opening the Wallet.... Opening the Mind to LEARN is the hard part...

Lets get the machine fixed and start posting all the GREAT Projects I know you can make with it... The Holiday Season is starting....

Good Luck,

AL

earlyrider
09-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Al,
I've found it doesn't take much time at all "to keep the machine ruining". Running, on the other hand,.....
(smiley) Don't you love the English language, where an extra vowel or a comma or lack thereof can change the meaning entirely?
Ron

Digitalwoodshop
09-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Al,
I've found it doesn't take much time at all "to keep the machine ruining". Running, on the other hand,.....
(smiley) Don't you love the English language, where an extra vowel or a comma or lack thereof can change the meaning entirely?
Ron

So much for RUNNING a Tight Ship.... - 2 points for Spelling..... LOL...

AL