PDA

View Full Version : Cutting bit

jerrbitt
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Have just broken my second 1/8" cutting bit. Both time, although many porjects apart, it involved cutting a corner, an arc on all four corners on a 3/4" thick board. It seems that the bit does not stand up to the pressure doing a full 3/4" cut however, I can not adjust the software for multi passes of the cut, say 1/4" each.

Is it me or the software in terms of not being able to do multi passes on these tyhpe of arc cuts?

mtylerfl
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Have just broken my second 1/8" cutting bit. Both time, although many porjects apart, it involved cutting a corner, an arc on all four corners on a 3/4" thick board. It seems that the bit does not stand up to the pressure doing a full 3/4" cut however, I can not adjust the software for multi passes of the cut, say 1/4" each.

Is it me or the software in terms of not being able to do multi passes on these tyhpe of arc cuts?

You should certainly be able to set a Max. Pass (multi-pass) on your cuts. See the following Tips: ISSUE 12 September 2008 – Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights (http://www.carvewright.com/downloads/tips/CarveWrightTips&Tricks_Sept08.pdf)

Can you post your MPC so we can take a peek at how you set up your cut paths? Perhaps there was an oversight there.

AskBud
09-03-2010, 02:52 PM

The "Max-Pass-Depth" should work fine.
The first question I have is, do you have a board that has at least 7 inches more length, and do you "Stay Under the Rollers"?

It would, also, be nice to see your MPC.
AskBud

liquidguitars
09-03-2010, 02:57 PM
If you still using the old QC i would upgrade to the CT or Rock for starters, also set your max cut depth to a smaller size.

I am sure max cut depth works in Designer, what version software?

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Just last week I snapped two 1/8 cutting bits doing a full 3/4 inch cut.... Went back to .4 inch deep 2 pass cutting....

I am sure you saw the tips and tricks posted above about how to use the cut path multi pass.

Here is how I deal with being "FRUGAL" with wood.....

I masking Tape a 4 inch block on the end of my Scrap. In Designer I place a 4 inch dead zone at the right side of Designer and use "PLACE ON END".

My machine has been pumping out Bears and Deer for a Sunday Show for 6 days 12 hours a day.... No Broken Bits....

I Thank TERRY for his GREAT BEAR.... I got the Deer9 too the other day....

I am even doing a smaller scrap by taping a scrap on BOTH ENDS..... REALLY FrugAL...

Masking tape on the Brass Roller helps prevent broken bits too.... A Board jumping in the X Direction will SNAP a bit too....

Another thing you can do is after designing your cut path.... Select the 1/4 inch cutting bit but still use the 1/8 inch bit..... It keeps the Cut Speed in 1st gear.... Normally with a 1/8 inch bit, it does corners in 1st gear then switches to 2nd gear for long runs and THAT is when the bit SNAPS.....

The DEER9 cut is HOT off the Press... It was doing the cut path when I started typing... I wanted to show I taped scraps on both ends.... I am using cut off scraps in my shop.... And I have a bunch of them..... This is the start of FALL Shop Cleaning..... So I can put the insulation in the walls and put up the Wall board for the winter... And get all the outlets and dust collection in place...

The base of the washed out picture of the Deer has "Masthope Mountain" V60 Text.... I am doing the new BEAR too with text..... All the small towns near me... and Masthope Mountain where my Show is Sunday.

I am doing them in Pairs.... For....... Drum Rollllllllll..... BOOK ENDS...... CD Storage Book ENDS.... I have a bunch of the clear 1 x 6 cut off's from the Signs I do.... They will become the top and bottom.... Along with stick on rubber feet..... Thanks MT for the Idea..... !!!!!

I love this BEAR..... It has a "Attitude".... I smell FOOD.....
AL

mtylerfl
09-04-2010, 08:30 AM

I am doing them in Pairs.... For....... Drum Rollllllllll..... BOOK ENDS...... CD Storage Book ENDS.... I have a bunch of the clear 1 x 6 cut off's from the Signs I do.... They will become the top and bottom.... Along with stick on rubber feet..... Thanks MT for the Idea..... !!!!!

I love this BEAR..... It has a "Attitude".... I smell FOOD.....
AL

I love it!! Glad to hear someone is jumping on the 'bookend' bandwagon - always wondered why no one (that I knew of) was making any. When I made the Stallion bookends, I thought some folks might get inspired to do some variations! Fantastic! (I love that Bear pattern, too! - great job, Terry!)

jerrbitt
09-04-2010, 09:31 AM
The Cut Path function apparently does not work for the arc cut out that I have it is grayed out. Software 1.164

dbfletcher
09-04-2010, 09:35 AM
It will if you place both end points of your arc outside of the virtual board. Otherwise it would have to be a closed path.

AskBud
09-04-2010, 09:58 AM
It will if you place both end points of your arc outside of the virtual board. Otherwise it would have to be a closed path.
To add to DB's statement, just delete all arcs but the original one. Set it up as DB suggests and then Mirror on all 4.
AskBud

jerrbitt
09-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Well I tried but the cut path icon is still grayed out.

TerryT
09-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Click on the one in the upper left corner. You will see that it still isn't past the edges of the board. Move it slightly so that it overhangs the edges. Then you will be able to use the cut path.

jerrbitt
09-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Click on the one in the upper left corner. You will see that it still isn't past the edges of the board. Move it slightly so that it overhangs the edges. Then you will be able to use the cut path.

Well that worked, thank you.