PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Rock Chuck is there service

cgittins
09-03-2010, 08:16 AM
I ordered a rock chuck on 8-18-10 and recieved it on about 8-22-10.
I installed it 2 days later. I have only been using round shaft bits. I am doing a project with a dead line. On 9-2-10 I have emailed Ron twice, with my email address & phone number and posted here for help. I want to thank the two that tried to me about help. I think is the cam inside that bad. On 9-01-10 I took out the carving bit bought from Ron and went to install a 1/2"x 1/4" shaft bull nose in the cuck and it wouldn't go in. This morning I removed the rock chuck's bottom end and it appears the cam or what ever is inside won't retract like it should. I don't feel I should go porbing inside the chuck, I already put small mark in it.
I am worried that I have made approx. a $420.00 mistake with the chuck & bits.
For 9 days use.
Thanks Charlie

dbfletcher
09-03-2010, 08:28 AM
I ordered a rock chuck on 8-18-10 and recieved it on about 8-22-10.
I installed it 2 days later. I have only been using round shaft bits. I am doing a project with a dead line. On 9-2-10 I have emailed Ron twice, with my email address & phone number and posted here for help. I want to thank the two that tried to me about help. I think is the cam inside that bad. On 9-01-10 I took out the carving bit bought from Ron and went to install a 1/2"x 1/4" shaft bull nose in the cuck and it wouldn't go in. This morning I removed the rock chuck's bottom end and it appears the cam or what ever is inside won't retract like it should. I don't feel I should go porbing inside the chuck, I already put small mark in it.
I am worried that I have made approx. a $420.00 mistake with the chuck & bits.
For 9 days use.
Thanks Charlie

I'm sorry to hear you have run in to some difficulties with your Rock. Ron has always been pretty quick at responding so I'm guessing he may be out of town or something. When you say "only round bit shafts" are you saying the dont have a flat anywhere on the shaft? Which rock do you have... the 1/4" or the 1/2"? Are you using any sleeves? I know I have read posts before where Ron recommends loosening the bolt a few turn and then pushing in on the head with the hex tool which should allows you to insert a bit. Make sure you check for burrs if you accidently alligned the rock on a flat. I have rocks on both of my machines and it is easily the best replacement part I ever used on my machines. I'm sure once you get your problems resolved you will join the many many many happy rock users on the forum. I am positive the $420 you invested was money very well spent.

All in all almost ALL of the rock issues have been from new users not fulling understanding the proper orientation of the flats and sleaves in relationship to the hex head. I was also in that group until Ron posted a few pics of exactly how they should be alligned. I have not had a lick of trouble with either of my two rocks since.

If you have not seen this thread, I would reccommend reading it. It has lots of useful info on the Rock. It also has the two pictures Ron posted about alignment.

http://www.carvespot.com/forum/read.php?3,169,833

Fletcher
09-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I installed a rock one week after owning my machine and have not had any of the "typical" problems - ever.

However, I too recently ordered a 1/2"-3/8" sleeve on Ron's site and have not heard back either. I have emailed twice and messaged him here but still no reply...

Where are ya Ron? We need you!

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 11:10 AM
No Mistake in spending the money..... Operator Error.... If you have installed the 1/8 inch cutting bit in the Rock Chuck and was not careful not to let the Rock Wedge lock on a flat spot then we have the problem.

The wedge has a burr in it caused by clamping down on the flat spot in the 1/8 inch cutting bit.

You need to remove the chuck and the screw. Then tap the wedge out and using a file or grinding stone carefully remove the burr....

Any chance you 1/2 inch bit has a 8 mm shaft where you think it is a 1/4 inch.....?

AL

cgittins
09-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Have only used the 1/4" shaft carving bit I bought from Ron & a 1/4" shaft round nose bit. No flat spots on any of the bits shafts I,ve used.
I think there something wrong with cam inside. It doesn't recess all the way, haven't used any sleeves yet.
I have not heard from Ron yet.
I don't know how it could be operator error just putting a bit in the chuck.
Thanks
Charlie

Digitalwoodshop
09-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Time to remove the wedge and inspect it. Ron has a day job and it could take a while to get in touch with you.

AL

dbfletcher
09-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Have only used the 1/4" shaft carving bit I bought from Ron & a 1/4" shaft round nose bit.

Just for clarification then you have the 1/4 rock with an 1/8 sleeve that you havn't used yet. And you have only used two 1/4 shaft bits your purchased from Ron. Is that correct? I agree with Al.. at this point it's time to look at the wedge.

cgittins
09-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Doug
Yes I have only used 1/4" shafts in the rock chuck.
And it appears I am not the only one waiting to hear from Ron.
I also don't feel is not my job to start banging around inside the chuck. I don't have any idea how it is put together
and feel at this point all I can do is ruin something. Then it is my fault.

dbfletcher
09-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarifications. I'm sure Ron will respond as soon as he is able.
Once you get your issue resolved, I'm sure you are going to wonder how your lived without the Rock for so long.

rjustice
09-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Hi Guys,
It looks like i have some catching up to do. I was on an extended camping vacation in the mountains of West Virginia, and had no cell, or internet connections.. Very frustrating since I took everything needed to do business on the road, but very relaxing on the other hand!... I contacted and took care of Charlies problem last week, and yes it was a burr on the clamp nut. Not quite sure where it came from, but thats all it was. And the reccomendation of gently tapping the locknut out the back and filing off any burrs was right on...

Thanks for helping while i was out!

Ron

Capt Bruce
09-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Guys,
I was on an extended camping vacation in the mountains of West Virginia, and had no cell, or internet connections.. Very frustrating since I took everything needed to do business on the road, but very relaxing on the other hand Thanks for helping while i was out!

Ron

Welcome back Ron,

I guess that's what one gets for trying to have a life sometimes. Maybe it's time to invest in backpack satellite gear . . . or to just figure sometimes we have to really get away in order to re-charge one's personal battery.
Glad you got the camping break.

rjustice
09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Capt Bruce... Sad thing is that I have a Verizon Wireless "air card" that plugs into the computer, but it uses the Cell Phone towers to connect... No Luck! It is always hard to catch up when you get back after being out of touch electronically!

I really did enjoy our trip though... we ended up finding a nice state park that we will no doubt return to. I would recommend it to anyone that likes to camp. the name is Beech Fork near Huntington, West Virginia. Most camp sites are lake front. It was a very nice couple of weeks. Fish jumping, deer walking within 20 feet, blue herron, ducks, geese, mountains, and perfect blue skies in the background... it was a sight to behold...

Thanks again for your patience guys!

Best regards,

Ron

Ric
09-26-2010, 05:54 PM
I orderd the same 1/2x3/8 adapter and received a 1/2x1/4 . Have not been able to contact them.

Smoken D
09-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Reminds me of retirement. Been retired 10 years now, haven't had a day off or a vacation since I retired.:D

rjustice
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
I orderd the same 1/2x3/8 adapter and received a 1/2x1/4 . Have not been able to contact them.

Ric click on my email below in my signature, and send me your order number. i will check into it...

Thanks,

Ron

Jeff_Birt
09-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Let's not forget that this is the 'CarveWright' forum. Vendors of CW related products should not be taking care of business here.

Router-Jim
09-27-2010, 08:25 AM
Doug
Yes I have only used 1/4" shafts in the rock chuck.
And it appears I am not the only one waiting to hear from Ron.
I also don't feel is not my job to start banging around inside the chuck. I don't have any idea how it is put together
and feel at this point all I can do is ruin something. Then it is my fault.

Take a mirror and position it so you can see inside the chuck. Now insert the hex wrench into the set screw and move it slightly. This will give you an understanding how the chuck lock works. Once you understand how it works you will be able to avoid this problem in the future.

I love my rock chuck.

Fletcher
09-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Let's not forget that this is the 'CarveWright' forum. Vendors of CW related products should not be taking care of business here.

Funny you should say that when your signature SCREAMS in triple size fonts that you sell CW accessories too. Granted, you are not "taking care of business", just looking for it right? I'm just saying...

Some of us had a bit of trouble and this is the first place to look. It's also funny that the RC wasn't an issue while it was saving LHR a ton of money in repair and support costs - so much so that they sort of knocked it off... Again, I'm just sayin'.

Jeff_Birt
09-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Part of the job of a moderator is to help steer things back on course when they get close to the edge. Please take a look a look at the forum posting guidelines w.r.t. commercial postings and you'll see what I am referring to; conducting personal business on CarveWright's website is not OK. Links in a signature are not a problem. There is also no need to make a smart alec comment back to a moderator.

Fletcher
09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
There is also no need to make a smart alec comment back to a moderator.

Do the forum posting guidelines say anything about moderators calling CUSTOMERS names like "smart alec"? My comment was merely an observation of the truth and name calling should be left for the school yard. The fact that you throw your moderator status around in a threatening manner says enough and I have no more to say on this matter.