PDA

View Full Version : Alignment problems

sparky
08-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I have carved Footprints In the Sand plaque twice and each time the machine carves all
letters correct except for seven letters that it skips on the first pass. When it reaches the end and comes back to add the letters it skipped, it misaligns them about 1/8th inch. I have carved it on 2 different carrier boards. Both with masking tape. I also carved The Lords Supper Cross and it carved the cross fine but when it did the cut path it was off by the same 1/8th inch. Anyone have any suggestions?

AskBud
08-30-2010, 11:21 AM
I have carved Footprints In the Sand plaque twice and each time the machine carves all
letters correct except for seven letters that it skips on the first pass. When it reaches the end and comes back to add the letters it skipped, it misaligns them about 1/8th inch. I have carved it on 2 different carrier boards. Both with masking tape. I also carved The Lords Supper Cross and it carved the cross fine but when it did the cut path it was off by the same 1/8th inch. Anyone have any suggestions?
It could be the wood, the taped end pieces, or the machine.
I would start by getting a poplar board that is 8 inches longer than the design (no taped end pieces). Run that test and see if you get a good carve.
If you have the same problem, it is time for a good cleaning of the machine, including using a sandpaper eraser on the sandpaper belts.
AskBud

Digitalwoodshop
08-30-2010, 02:09 PM
One method to type it all over again in order. What I believe happened is you may have fussed with the first sentence after it was all typed and when it compiles the project it must look deeper in the line data for the correction.

It is very common to skip around. The out of alignment is a problem...

Place masking tape in 3 additional strips down the under side of the board to give the sand paper belts something to dig into. I see you are using tape at the brass roller.

Look for a rolled under belt at the brass roller, hard to see. If the paper is missing on the far side, it is rolled under.

Head not level.

Is carrier board always under the rollers? Coming out from under the rollers and you get problems with tracking.

AL

sparky
08-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks Al & Bud for your replies.
Al, I guess it could be the mistakes you pointed out in the text that were corrected.
This is a pattern that I downloaded from the forum (Footprints).
I also downloaded the Last Supper Cross.
The letters on Footprints was not just in the first line but scattered throughout the writing.
By it being approx. 1/8th inch off on the cut out of the cross leads me to suspect the machine. It carved the pattern fine ,but when it cut path thats when there is alignment problem.